Chapter 21: When the cat is away

He stood still watching the women shake their hips. As a man, he should be responsible to make sure that the ladies were not taken advantage of. He began to enjoy the music. His head bobbed in time with the beat.

All of a sudden, he felt a hand on his butt. Miguel frowned in discomfort. Did they not see that he was a man? He looked behind him but the hand was gone. He moved away from his spot but kept an eye on his workmates. As he moved, he felt a tap on his shoulders. Miguel turned around.

"Sir Stephen?"

Stephen saw a guy grope Miguel's butt so he pushed the drunk guy away without making it obvious. He approached Miguel intending to take him away from the crowded place. He noticed how other men had been leering at the unsuspecting twink ever since he entered the club.

"Come with me!" Stephen's voice could barely be heard in the dance floor. The music was too loud. Stephen held Miguel's hand and brought him away from the crowd of writhing bodies. They passed the stairs to the upper floor. It was a cordoned area for VIPs and was generally less noisy than the first floor.

"Hey Miguel!" Glinda pretended to be surprised. She already saw his cousin staring down at the dance floor through the glass panel for a couple of minutes. Stephen excused himself. Glinda continued to watch the people below. She chuckled when Stephen approached a young man wearing a black jacket.

"Hi Ms. Glinda!" Miguel waved. He became a bit tone deaf from the music on the first floor. He sat on the booth and Stephen slid beside him.

Glinda cast Stephen a knowing look but Stephen ignored it. Miguel's stomach growled. They did not eat anything for dinner prior to going to the club. Stephen chuckled and asked what he would like to eat. Miguel refused. He was not used to other people paying for his meal. When he was a child, he was often mocked for not being able to afford snacks in school. A classmate would give him food but behind his back that classmate would make fun of him. That classmate used that reason do make Miguel do embarrassing stuff. Miguel had to pay for the food, the classmate said. Even after many years passed, the memory stuck with him. Thus, as an adult he became wary of receiving people's assistance for fear of being made fun of or blackmailed. It was still best not to owe someone.

"Just be yourself. Don't think too much. We are not at work." Stephen placed his warm hand over Miguel's shoulders.

Miguel looked at Ms. Glinda who gave him an encouraging look. He finally cast his inhibitions and looked at the menu. Stephen smiled and encouraged him to order whatever he liked.

"Don't drink too much." Stephen reminded Miguel.

Miguel's ears became flushed. He remembered that time when he became wasted at the party. It even caused him to soil someone's clothes. It was an embarrassing experience for him. "Yes, Sir." He nodded obediently.

Stephen smiled. "Here, eat more."

On the third floor, a man gripped his glass of whiskey. The entire floor was covered by glass which allowed someone to look below. However, unlike the second floor, the glass on the third floor was a one-way glass. The people below cannot see the people inside. His sharp eyes saw everything.

When the cat is away, the mice will play.

He continued to listen to his business partner but his eyes were focused on the booth below. He watched the other man flirt with the clueless boy.

Henry cast a signal to his chief of security.

Kasumi walked to where his boss was seated and leaned down to listen to his orders. He stood up and walked out of the room to carry out the orders.