Chapter 6: CHOICE (rev)

Music Background: Camera Obscura by Jose Carcavelos

Had he not bumped into a human meat wall that was called Mr. Kingsley, Miguel did not know what could have happened to him when he was burning in a delirium. Alone in a different country, he had no one to turn to; no relative to take care of him if he was sick.

He was suddenly hit with melancholy and homesickness. If he was home, his father would have been there to fuss over him. If he was home, Marian would have been there to cheer him up.

He tried to sleep it off.

But his slumber was cut off when he received a call from his best friend.

His father's condition was getting worse and the doctor recommended surgery to remove a tumor in his body.

"When will they perform the surgery?"

"A week from now. They want uncle to regain some strength first. The doctor warns us the risks of the procedure. There is a possibility that he will ... on the table."

At that moment Miguel a chill pass through his body. He was scared; scared of losing his father; scared of being alone in the world.

"I will find a way Marian. Please tell the doctors to proceed with the surgery." Undeniable pain was reflected in his voice.

"Miguel, they want a down payment that is half of the cost of the surgery."

Miguel tried to sound calm but, in his mind, he was screaming.

"How much do they want?"

Miguel felt despair as Marian relayed the expenses. He had sent all his earnings to cover the first dose of treatment. His next paycheck was two weeks away. It would look bad if he asks his employers for an advance again.

"Marian you have done so much for me and my Dad. Thank you. Thank you for taking care of him when I am away."

The tears that he kept in his eyes could not be held back anymore.

"Don't. Don't thank me Miguel. Uncle Gilberto is like a father to me."

"Uncle is optimistic about it. He is trying every day to become stronger. Let us think of positive things Miggy."

"Yes. Yes, we should." Miguel nodded. Papa is strong. He will make it.

By the time their conversation ended it was already 9 o'clock in the evening.

He didn't like to owe people money. All his life he would work hard to earn and buy what he needed. He was never frivolous nor wasteful. If he could not afford it then he would let it go. He was not like his neighbors who would borrow money to throw parties. He and his father were very frugal and he cherished the values that his father instilled in him.

The past few months became a test of principle.

One million. He needed one million as down payment for the surgery. They had already maxed out the government insurance. He took loans just to keep up with the third dose of treatment. He borrowed money from Marian, from his other friends, and from the bank to keep the treatment going.

On top of that he also had taxes and bills to pay in U country. He did all he could to save up. He cut off his food and transport expenses, bought only the cheapest products, refused all sorts of invitations by his co-workers. But it was not enough.

How naïve was he to say money could not buy happiness when he had been a teen? Look at him now, chasing money to prolong his father's life.

Miguel rubbed his swollen eyes. His pillow was already soaked in tears.