Chapter 27: Freedom

It turned out that the honeymoon was nothing but a job. A day after they arrived in Russia, Miguel was required to perform his duties as a spouse.

Because his interaction with Mr. Kingsley was rare, it was no wonder that Miguel almost forgot the contract. Apart from him living in a large estate and being chauffeured of to his workplace, there was no drastic change in his routine for these past few months. It could be said that he adjusted well. Now that the domineering man demanded him to fulfill his end of the contract, Miguel couldn't help but become troubled.

In Miguel's own opinion, his mental barriers were strong. He was unassuming and well disciplined. He was clear about the lines between him and Mr. Kingsley. But why was it that when the man looked at him yesterday, there was an inexplicable feeling in his body?

Miguel shook his head. Looking at the navy-blue bespoke suit, he recalled what happened a few weeks ago when he was still recuperating in the estate. Different racks of clothes were rolled into the walk-in closet. His clothes were few and filled only a small shelf in the cabinet. But now, all of the cabinets and racks were filled with clothes, shoes, and accessories.

It was his first time to see so much articles of clothing. After confirming that all of those were for him, he said "I cannot accept this. This is too much."

He was just a migrant worker doing an ordinary job. Where would he use all those fancy stuffs?

However, his words made the butler frown.

Andre was in the estate and coincidentally heard Miguel's words. He dismissed the butler and told Miguel to follow him. They walked to another wing of the villa and entered a room. Seeing the library, Miguel wished he could have explored the villa more. Alas, before his injuries, he was too focused on earning a living that he did not even have a day off. His stayin the villa was only spent for sleeping.

"Take a seat." Andre settled on the single chair.

Miguel reluctantly sat on the sofa and waited for the spectacled man to speak.

"How is your injury?" The secretary asked.

"It's healing well. Thank you for your concern."

"It had been a couple of months since you stayed in the villa. Have you adjusted to living here?"

"Yes, Sir."

"No need to be uptight. You can relax around me." Andre pushed his glasses up. "You've been in U country for a year now, isn't it?"

Miguel nodded. "Close to a year, yes."

"Despite your short stay in U country, I hope you have adapted some of the culture here."

Miguel read as much as he could prior to coming to U country. When he arrived and started to work, it was inevitable that he would learn something. "Yes, Sir."

Andre doubted that. From what he heard about the clothes alone, he judged that this foreign boy was too naïve. Miguel had no idea how the society in the U country worked. Andre briefly wondered why out of all the potential candidates, the master had to choose this person.

"Common people may not care much about how they dress. However, the difference is true when it comes to the high society. Appearances play an important part on how others will perceive you. How you look and how you dress tells a lot about you. If you dressed too simply, the people of high society will not put you in their eyes."

"But I'm just an ordinary person. It's not like I am involved in this high society that you speak of." Miguel did not understand.

Andre sighed. This boy was too innocent.

"The moment you signed the contract, you had been thrust into the circle." Andre looked at him to make sure that he was listening. "The master has a lot of admirers, but he also has many enemies. Some are out in the open but others lurk in the darkness, biding their time and waiting to strike. These people are ruthless. They would not hesitate to exploit the master's weak links. Your association with the master alone is enough to attract attention."

With this revelation, how could Miguel not tremble? Unknowingly, he entered a dangerous world. The contract, which he regarded merely as a sham marriage in exchange for money, was not that simple as he considered it would be.

"At the moment, your identity is still kept a secret. However, when the time comes that your existence is revealed, your words, your actions, and your whole being would be put under scrutiny. This extreme pressure, you might not even be able to bear." Andre leaned forward. "If you cannot take this, you should tell me."

He was prepared to shoulder the responsibility of telling the master should the boy choose to back out. Rather than carrying a dead weight, it was better to let go as early as now. With their enemies starting to move, there was no need for weak people in the master's camp.

Miguel was conflicted. His logical mind told him to accept the secretary's offer. He came from a poor background but he grew up in a peaceful environment. He never witnessed any scene of violence, neither did he ever encounter danger until he arrived in U country. For his own safety, he should take this opportunity and run away.

"You don't have to return the money. Just say the word and I will take care of this matter." Andre continued to convince Miguel. That sum was not worth even mentioning compared to the master's vast wealth.

He did not have to return what he used from Mr. Kingsley's money. This offer was too good to pass. At the moment, his current savings were not enough to pay for what he owed. Making up his mind, he sat up straight and looked directly at Andre's eyes.