chapter 11

i hurriedly pushed open the cafeteria doors, scanning the area for travis. we hadn't talked at all today, even though we had last period together, but that didn't mean i forgot my promise.

i finally spotted the blonde at an empty table, his head in his arms. i smiled, and ran over to where he was sitting, before i heard someone yell out my name.

"y/n!"

i turned around to see ash skipping towards me excitedly, larry by her side. "hey, where you heading? sal and everyone else is at the table already." she said.

i laughed, rubbing the back of my neck. "actually, i was gonna sit with travis today. he seems so lonely." i responded, giggling nervously.

they both looked at me like i had killed someone, before larry shook his head. "dude, i'm not so sure about that. i don't want him to hurt you again."

"but i-"

"i mean, he just waltzed up to you and punched you! who does that?! how do you know he won't do that again? if he touches you, so help me i'll-"

"larry!" i cut him off. "that won't happen, okay? we talked yesterday. it'll be fine."

i looked behind me and travis was finally poking his head out of his arms, glancing around like he had just woken up.

ash crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes at him. "well, okay... you'll sit with us tomorrow though, right?" she asked.

i shrugged. "probably. plus he made it sound like it would only be a one time thing." i looked over ash's shoulder to see sal staring at us.

"well, i'll see you in a few." i waved to them and turned back to travis's table. he had his head hung low, taking slow bites out of his sandwich.

"hey, trav!" i slung my bag off my shoulder, setting it down on the ground as i sat in front of him.

he looked up at me, setting down his food. "don't call me that." he said sternly.

i frowned. this was going great.

"oh, c'mon. you didn't have to agree to this." i smirked at him. "you know you enjoy my company. you'd just never admit it."

he rolled his eyes, and i laughed, noticing the dark red and purple bruise forming on his right eye.

"hey, where'd you get that?" i asked, leaning over the table to get a closer look at him. he visibly flinched, putting his forearms over his face. "hey, woah, dude, what's wrong?"

he slowly took his arms down, his eyes wide and his face bewildered. "you're not gonna hit me?" he asked quietly.

i stared at him in confusion. "what? of course not." it suddenly hit me like a truck, and i shut my mouth, looking down at my shoes.

out of the corner of my eye, i saw someone sit next to me, and i felt their gaze on me. i turned my head to see sal, smiling at me. i smiled back, and quickly pulled him into a tight hug, which he (unsurprisingly) tensed up at.

"sally!" i was happy he came to the rescue, it was starting to get really awkward.

i heard him chuckle and he pulled away. "can't believe you ditched me!" he said, faking a hurt voice.

"oh, shut up." my smile fell as i noticed the dark bags under his eyes through his prosthetic holes. his hair wasn't in his usual pigtails, and it was matted and unbrushed. "you okay, sal?" i asked.

he only nodded. i didn't believe him; i took his hand, and he smiled at me, before he looked over to travis. there was an obvious tension in the air, so thick you could cut it with a knife.