II

National Enhanced training and Verification Regiment.

Marking his steps carefully on the unusual cement paving that marked his path inward, he began to notice the construction of the surrounding buildings. They were somewhat modern, yet had emphasis on a revolutionary-like architecture. Since he was at the back of the batch, Miles could observe and easily point out things that didn't fit in. 

For example, as he entered into the camp, he immediately noticed the shooting range and the damaged targets within. Not just that, but the weapons stationed there were different from standard military issue. Secondly, to his left were training grounds. One section was laid out with sand, a high element obstacle course and flattened grass, implying the constant pressure that was being applied onto it and causing their bends. At first sight, the campgrounds could be easily compared to that of a university.

Another thing that caught his eye was the radio tower that peeked above the range. It's heightened position alongside the fact that it was a control center for incoming personnel made it a significant building in the camp. The walls of the first set of barracks also seemed significant enough to point out. It had a couple of light linings installed into it's thick alloy, probably used for transmissions or storm signals.

Strange enough, the soon-to-be cadets were all doing the same. They were all observing and studying the environment around them. Most of them wore their uniforms while some dressed in casual clothing, receiving zero to no instructions on whether they should've done either, just like Miles himself.  A few seconds into the camp and he already began having doubts about everything that was to unfold.

Miles continued to journey further in, following the line who seemed to be following no one. Some turned round the curve whilst  others proceeded to the building right ahead. There didn't seem to be any indication on which path he needed to follow. Well, until he spotted the guiding soldier sitting on a table and chair at the intersection, assigning those in front on which place they should be moving toward.

Closer and closer he got, the bag on his back burdening his movement as he trudged. Joining the rather mobile queue, Miles took a broader look at his surroundings. Instantly, he caught sight of the rubber track round the back of the closest barracks. The same moment he wondered about something. Why was he like this? Why without fail would Miles scan around his vicinity? These questions looped around his head for a moment or two, and before he could make his conclusion, his eyes broke into focus.

"Name?" His voice dragged monotonously.

"Anderson. Miles Grant Anderson." He replied cheerlessly. The soldier traced through the attendance sheet, before halting at a middle point. Miles promptly could discern the number of people in his group. Or as the sheet says, their platoon. Instead of having at least sixteen cadets, there were a total of eight. Discluding their squad lead, whose name was in a separate bracket.

No familiar names at all.

"Sixth." He added a gesture as his head locked to the closest barracks, "Welcome to Never, Cadet Anderson." He ended with a calming expression that eased Miles. He was the first person to hear say the word he came to with.

Miles nodded with a smirk, adjusting the posture of his bag and strutting into the building. Setting a foot into the barracks, he noticed the rows of weapons and armor sets up on what seemed as rising pedestals that parted from the smooth flooring. To his left were a wide flight of stairs fitted with alternate lighting that helped easier visualize where he'd be stepping. The soldiers continued to prepare the gear that he could only assume was for later on, while he turned the round and upward toward his temporary bedroom.

Carrying himself up the stairs without ease, he stuttered his breaths with every step upward till he reached the level. A step further, and another and another before he finally took his last. A familiar sense of accomplishment fluttered through him, placing a smile on his face. But when the knowledge that he was going to have to get used to it kicked in, the bright beam faded into a sigh of disgust. Well, it wasn't happening anytime soon. Might as well enjoy the last few moments of his final serenity.