VI

After their patrol, the two returned to their barracks with joy at the signal of the light that illuminated at around the three to  four a.m. time span. Having no rest whatsoever, the Sixth were rather stumped at the smiles and ecstatic expressions the duo returned to with, especially with the tiring day they had previously. Their days grew the same, only this time with other platoons taking patrol for the nights ahead. A few days passed and the trial course for the squadrons were set to motion. This was the first primary test to see which roles they were going to be suited in, but it only constituted to a minute degree of what they were going to be.

Each platoon had a set timing and were to send two randomly selected cadets to the augmented reality amphitheater for their trials. The Sixth Squadron were set dead center right after their lunch break to be evaluated, giving them time to practice a little more on the training fields with their weapon handling and strategical positioning that they all learned in six days. 

The examinations were based on the second week-end airsoft course where two squadrons were going to be put against one another in a Capture the Flag objective setting. It would also determine the offensive or defensive arrangement of the cadets by allowing them to pressure the hostiles, and be pressured by the hostile group. They would also be equipped with sensory scanners, which will register shots fired at them, a cerebral analyzer that will track their brain activity during combat, and a vitals scanner within the make-shift armor required by them to dress in for safety.

A dozen minutes after the completion of their cafeteria break, the first two cadets were sent to the fifty metre long auditorium above the cafeteria. Though its environment was shaped with visually editable objects, forming the frame of the terrain and natural prospects of the forest, the walls were white checkered and mainly used to simulate realistic features on the terrain. It wasn't the overall length of the forest grounds that they will be utilizing behind the camp, meaning that they could not simulate full length attack and defense examinations. 

This being a problem, the offensive and defensive simulations were tested separately in a shortened field. First being defensive and offensive the next. The reason only two cadets could be chosen was due to the idea of pairings in Never. If a cadet could personally support a partnering cadet, these ideas of protection was assumed to be done similarly to the rest of their team. This allowed them to easily grow to become a member within the team. What they did for this first evaluation could slightly determine what role out of the three that the cadets could be most suited for.

Cassidy proceeded through the parting doors and into the room above the level of the auditorium that gave a perfect view of the coliseum below, especially on Trevor and Miles who were being tended to by the soldiers-on-duty. The soldiers with expertise on the augmented reality theater, the field-masters, managed the settings and play-outs of the simulations for later on. It was a completely different atmosphere and level of combat with every pair that was sent, making it a little less predictable and placing more pressure on the cadets. People feared the what they didn't know, it was the best way to see the statistics build up more reliably.

The first two familiar faces that the sergeant caught noticing his arrival were his experienced cadets, Katherine Adair and Cody Castellan. Both of which were present there on his orders, they were to assist Cassidy and the evaluation team on observing the tactics that they formed up. The rest of their team would come much later. Since they were both Enhanced individuals who have been training as soldiers longer than most others did, their criticism and awareness could help in Cassidy's role decision. Another face that he didn't expect to be there was the commander, Jesse Fox of the Eleventh. He gave his salute and was put to ease by him.

"Did not expect you to be here, commander." Cassidy revealed, walking to his side to stand with Fox at the face of the partially hidden window. There Miles and Trevor stood on the far back, chattering with one another and occasionally with the men that abetted them with the sensory technology and armor.