4: The Seamstress and Rumours

(NOTED: I EDITED THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER SO MANY TIMES, SO BEFORE READING THIS CHAPTER, DO SEE IF YOU HAVE READ THE FINAL VERSION OF THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER)

-Trust is a fragile thread so easily broken-

A single drop of rain fell, and he silently watched it roll down the glass. She felt it caress her cheek with loneliness. The clouds were grey, silent and echoing their pain.

She wiped the stray drop with heartache. He could only press his hands against the glass and watch it. 

So far, so alone and so heartbroken. 

They were just so many miles away, so desperate to have their hearts beat together. 

Staring at the sky, both of them hid their agonising pain and suffered alone.

****

Lina

After going into so many shops, I received the same answer. I was inexperienced. I had no capabilities, no skills. It was hurtful to hear these words because I once used to be a researcher at my college. I was a struggling student, but I did manage to get my articles published in international journals. I was skilful and resourceful; it all got forgotten when I decided to be a housewife. 

It had started raining heavily as I aimlessly roamed down the crowded streets of the food street. I had read articles of women being snatched from these roads, yet never thought that I would be in such an insecure environment all on my own. 

There were restaurants and shops lined along an uneven road. Crowds were literally gathered outside these shops. People of all kinds were here. There were people sitting on the sidewalk, holding bags full of merchandise and selling them. There were children gathered next to ice cream stands and hungry people begging for some coins.

Everything seemed so open, crass and real here. 

Men seemed to be eyeing me with sinister smiles, women walking up to me and offering me to buy some foul-scented perfumes from them. Keeping my head low, I silently searched for some shop to work at. 

The rain had been so unexpected. The sun was still out, but there were heavy drops caressing my cheeks while teasing my heart.

'You have to feel the rain, not see it'

'I am scared of the thunderstorms they bring along, Mehdi,' 

'With me around you don't need to be scared'

 'Promise?'

'Promise.'

Ignoring the rain, I felt hope growing at the sight of a help sign posted against the door of a small tailor shop. Desperate, I rushed towards its entrance. It had a small shade over its entrance, allowing me to momentarily rub my wet shoes against the mat spread outside and compose myself. 

Hesitant, I pushed out the shop door and stepped inside. There were huge brown shelves pressed against the walls, filled to the brim with beautiful fabrics...a brown counter was placed in the middle of the room. A strict-looking woman was sitting behind that counter, conversing with-currently-the sole customer inside the shop. I gulped with awkwardness. I had always felt a bit nervous to start conversations, which is why I could never really travel with Mehdi. Now, I had to learn this tact.

Holding my mobile and accessories close, I nervously made my way towards the counter. I felt a new kind of boldness now. My husband had betrayed me and made me go through so much pain, so whatever this woman would do won't be worst than that.