27: One Phone Call

-Jealousy is a delusion that destroys common sense-

Lina

It was early morning, and Kivanc decided to take me for a long walk in the forest. We stopped near the stream again, and I had him gather a few mountain goats for me to pet.

 We stopped near the stream again, and I had him gather a few mountain goats for me to pet

"This place is just so beautiful." I praised, standing beside a mountain goat and patting its neck as it drank water from the stream. Kivanc sat on the ground behind me, a few spaces on my right-with one of his legs lazily folded as he leaned back on his hands and seemed to be enjoying this moment.

"True, but I can tell you of prettier things." A smirk escaped into his tone; his stance charming and flattery. I was beginning to see why some women preferred his type. He had this boyishly mischievous, charming side. He knew how to flatter a woman. The thought of him, however, flattering others didn't settle well with me. I couldn't understand those emotions and simply shook them away with a simple shake of my head.

Blushing, I ignored his comment.

"So you used to come here with Junaid. What are your favourite childhood memories of this land?" I asked, sitting on the ground and gathering the mountain goat in my arms. The animal was so sweet and innocent. I loved goats so much.

He sat up straight for a second, his expressions thoughtful as he pulled on locks of his hair-staring at the ground.

"I don't really have any," he finally spoke. His voice sounded a bit quiet as he turned to look at the stream with a smile. There was no pain, but just a man settled with the fact that his childhood had been different.

I allowed the goat to leave, and I turned to look at him with a concerned and pitiful expression, folding my legs and sitting on them. "You said-"

"I remember Marina and Junaid inviting me over." He momentarily met my gaze, cracking his knuckles in thought. "We would have fun, but there was always a wish to stay here for months. I guess that constant comparison between my home and Marina's home...it kept me in too much of a sour mood to enjoy my trips." He then leaned back on his arms again, pressing his hands against the ground, hiding an amused smile at the sight of my sensitive expressions. I felt so horrible for him; the simple thought of a child looking for a good home was heartbreaking.

"Was your father always in an abusive mood?" I asked, my heart aching while looking at his strong façade with a tilted head. He was a tough man, strong and brave, and to hear him reveal bitter moments of his past hurt.

"Nah, I just woke up blue and bruised every day because I felt like it." He joked with a playful smirk. I rolled my eyes, not amused by it.

"But, yes...he was." He finally settled down, the laughter getting replaced with a quiet acceptance.

The sound of the water stream was echoing in the air.

"My childhood included mostly me being extremely silly and laughing at absolutely anything. I was a clown in my class." I revealed, looking down at my fidgeting fingers...a small nostalgic smile appearing. "I was carefree, silly and so prone to embarrassment. I did, after all, pour a jug full of water over my grandfather to get him to wake."