24: Morning at Nathia Gali

-There was something about him that I never saw before-

Lina

The morning at Nathia Gali was beautiful. Marina and I got up early, while the girls, Feri and Kivanc were still asleep. Marina had the helpers set our breakfast out on the balcony. It was foggy, fresh and surreal. 

Wooden cane chairs and a round table were set on the balcony

Wooden cane chairs and a round table were set on the balcony. I sat beside Marina, with both of our chairs facing the view. It was freezing. I had put on a thick jacket to warm myself up. 

Breathing in, I smiled as the house helper placed plates full of hot cheese omelette, melted butter and toasted bread, along with a green kettle, on the table. The mood was too peaceful for anyone to speak. I started lathering up the melted cheese on a toasted piece of bread while Marina poured herself a couple of Kashmiri (Pink) tea. 

"It was my idea to buy a house here." Marina now spoke, taking a long sip, staring at the view. I cosied up against my chair and curiously looked at her, listening with interest. The buttered piece of bread was held in my hand. 

"Junaid was a miser man," she laughed, getting lost in a memory. "But, I had just fallen in love with this view, so I asked him to buy me this home. We used to live with his sisters in the village." She smiled, seemingly so fond of the memories.

"That sounds beautiful." I breathed in, chewing on the buttered toast. The foggy scent...the coldness...it was playing with my senses. 

"It was...and then one day, we had a fight. He took off towards the forest side and never got back." The pain echoing in her tone made me feel quiet. Fights, many men do that. They take off, and then just in a blink of an eye, everything changes.  Their women are made to pay for their mistakes, wrong choices...

"Marina, why didn't you get remarried?" I asked, genuinely caught in thought while I finished eating the bread and cleaning my fingers. My gaze was lowered as my own emotions were invested in the answer. 

"I couldn't." Her answer was simple, but it raged havoc in me. 

"B-but-"

"The thing about Mr Right is that no matter what, your heart never moves on,  my dear. He got lost...and I had to struggle with so many problems because of that, but I never gave up on our memories. I was content in enjoying the memories of the past because I knew that was a once-in-a-lifetime love. No other man would ever make me fall like my Junaid." Her confession made me think. She had convinced me to move on because of reasons, but she, herself, was content with being a single woman. She claimed that everyone had to move on. 

Was it my depression and sadness that complied her to get me married? And why hadn't Mehdi's memories been enough for me to stay happy? Our happy moments had been tainted by all his lies, secrets and choices, yet the time and the good memories I had spent with him had never made me feel powerful. Just special and wanted. But never confident enough to live in a world without him.