(4) Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

I look around the dim-lighted courtyard of the restaurant they held the rehearsal dinner at, thinking to myself that it was just right that Chassie George drag me to the furthest lattice arch in the courtyard.

We were hiding from the rehearsal dinner guests. It's a good thing that we were because I woke up to the consequences of crying myself to sleep last night.

A little makeup and eyedrops fixed the puffiness and redness. Even then, I still fear it might show.

"Kathie, you're awfully quiet." My sister plucks me out of my thoughts.

I blink, straightening my dress. "I am not quiet. I just haven't said a word for a minute or two."

"That's still strange."

I pretend to look interested in my sky-high heels. I was on the verge of telling her about Owen's letter. And him having second thoughts about us. About him having to get away to think. I would if I want to be selfish and make this all about me. But I don't want to ruin her euphoria of starting over with Nathan. If I tell her, she has to feel bad for me and that's the last thing in my mind. I push the words back to my throat and forced a smile.

"What's strange is that we're hiding over here like creeps. Are we going to smoke something? You're hiding anything illegal in that pretty dress?"

Despite the lack of proper lighting, I can visualize her frown. "No. I'm just a little uneasy so stay put, okay?"

I was close to complaining about my feet that were killing me but that would be on ordinary nights – any other night when I don't feel so empty. "Hey, why don't we grab a drink from the bar?"

"No." She shakes her head firmly.

"It'll help with the nerves. Come on, just one shot. I'm sure your husband-to-be wouldn't mind."

"No."

I sighed. "Why?"

She shakes her head one more time. "I can't drink."

"Why?"

"I simply can't." She shrugs.

"Bunny, come on. Just one drink, please. What could be the possible reason why you can't?" My body is craving for alcohol. Partly because I have this humongous hole in my gut that I don't know how to fill. And also, hiding in a dark corner of the courtyard when the party is on full swing is depressing.

Chassie takes out a sigh. "If I tell you I'm pregnant, would you get off my back?"

I snorted, laughing it off.

"What?" Her brows raised.

I gasped. "You're not kidding?"

Her lips curved into a megawatt smile, hand going over her lower belly. "seven weeks," she murmurs.

"Oh, my god," I breathed. "Oh, my god!" I squealed, squishing her into a hug.

Chassie chuckled.

"You're pregnant!"

"I know but you have to keep your voice down. I want to surprise Nathan on our honeymoon. So, no telling mom and dad yet." She smiles.

"Okay. I promise."

Tears welled up in my eyes. I'm so happy for my sister. Her love life is at its prime. She's having romance at its highest peak. I should be wholeheartedly euphoric with her. But with this aching crack in my chest, I couldn't bring myself the purest of all joys, because while my sister is having the most fairytale-like happy endings, mine just suffered a major setback.

I sniffle, grasping for something else to think about. Like my neighbor whom I never saw come and go. Sometimes, I wonder if he even lives there. Or if he does, how does he even live in there? He's moved in a while and I never seen even his shadow.

"Kathie, are you crying?"

I shake my head. "I'm just so happy."

"Chassie? You have to come on back inside. It's starting to get cold out here."

We turned to find a figure walking toward us in the dark. He has stepped into the overhead spotlight that Chassie deliberately shunned.

Sure enough, the man was her soon-to-be husband. Again.

"I just needed the quiet." There was no surprise on how her fiancé managed to find us even when we so very carefully snuck out. Nathaniel watches my sister like a hawk.

"Yeah. We were just about to head back." I craned to look at my best friend/soon-to-be brother in-law again.

Nathaniel Forester. Tall, well-built, perfectly squared jaw, blue eyes that's quite his greatest asset if he only sets aside the glasses. Oh, and did I mention he's a dork?

We have known each other since we were little. I met him through my mother who also met him through his mother at a fundraiser. We are childhood best friends. And then Chassie George added into the equation.

Playing was even more fun because three means we could play bride and groom.

I know what you're thinking. Nathan gets to have two brides.

No.

Nathan was the priest, I was the beautiful bride and Chassie was the groom. It never occurred to me that he wanted my sister to be the bride and him the groom.

The turd.

He pulls Chassie to his side and wrapped an arm around her. "Why are you hiding from me?"

"It's not you." She leans her head to his chest.

Nathan nuzzled her hair. "You could've just hid with me."

"Okay, lovebirds. I'll head back so you can make out." I wiggled my fingers and stepped back in the restaurant.

4