(6) Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

I smoothed down my dress and made sure my curls lay perfectly in place. My sister deserves a beautiful maid of honor on her wedding day. I tamped down any non-positive feelings and made sure there's no trace of puffiness to my eyes.

When I entered the bridal suite that smelled of peonies, I heard my mother crying. She was hugging a stiff Chassie.

As if sensing I just came in, Chassie pointed an accusing finger to me beside her reflection in the enormous mirror. "You told them?"

Welp. I knew this would happen. "It was dad who told mom."

He chokes on his champagne as he hides guiltily in a corner. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. It just slipped."

Chassie turns around and faces me in a silk satin A-line wedding dress that hung breathtakingly to her body. Although adorned only with a satin sash that crisscrosses her waist, it accentuated her curves too well. After all this time, she's still the most beautiful bride I have ever seen. And I've been to a lot of weddings with blushing brides.

"Wow, Chassie. You look gorgeous."

She shyly smiles down to her gown. "Thanks," she murmured and looks at me again with a pucker between her brows. "But this doesn't mean you're off the hook. You told dad."

"I-" I look around to see if I can blame someone for it but there were only four of us in the room. Okay, so this one's on me. "It just slipped."

"Oh, there's nothing to fuss about, sweetheart. I didn't tell anyone." Mom rubs Chassie's back comfortingly.

Still, her not telling anyone this long is close to a miracle. Chassie, dad and I arched an eyebrow at her as if we're all thinking the same thing.

Mom feigned innocence but couldn't keep up the act for long. "Okay, I might have told my hairdresser. But," she holds up a finger before anyone could react. "I made her sworn to secrecy."

Chassie groans. "Please, don't jeopardize the surprise."

"We're not." Mom shrugs. "We're simply celebrating in silence. And not a soul on earth has a clue why."

Dad leaves his corner and finished his drink. "I agree with your mom, sweetie. I promise you your surprise will be safe until you get on the plane to your honeymoon."

"Can you guys make it until we landed? Because then I may have already told Nathan." Chassie shifts her gaze on the three of us.

I raised a hand. "I can do that."

"I will try for my beautiful princess." Mom locks Chassie in what looked like a tight hug. "You're the most stunning bride I have ever seen in my life." She started to sniffle again.

"Mom, you're aware that this is the second time that I'm going to marry Nathan, right?" Chassie snorted.

She holds her in arm's length. "Who cares? You can marry him a hundred more times and I'd still cry you a river."

"I'll be walking down the aisle in two hours. Are you sure you want to spend those hours crying?"

"Yeah, or maybe you want to be the mother of the bride with swollen eyes and Rodulph's nose." I grinned.

Mom looks up, blinking her tears back. "You're both right."

Dad shakes his head with a soft laugh. "Where's Ethan?"

"She's with Nathan's parents."

"Just to be clear. He'll be staying with us while you and Nathan are in your honeymoon, right?" Mom beams at her with twinkling eyes.