Chapter 5

Sumedh's POV:

Mallika followed me to the car quietly. I was overcome with a feeling of irritation when she refused to go home with me. It might be possibly  because of the fact that I wanted to spend time with her and she had outright rejected my company.

I controlled my emotions and opened the front seat door of my car. She stared at me for a minute and said, "back seat is more comfortable for me Thank you." With that she got into the back seat and I stood there for a few seconds chuckling at her sassy attitude.

The drive to Mallika's house was painfully silent. I tried to have small talk with her, but she just looked out of the window and ignored me. I sighed and made peace with my fate by checking her out through the rear view mirror.

She had a tranquil expression on her face. Her long hair now loose danced in the wind with a few strands interrupting her vision outside the window. Her long fingers managed to to set the strands in place and I noticed a silver band with a bunny engraved in it resting on her index finger which immediately put a bright smile on my face. I had given her that ring for her 16th birthday.

"Stop staring at me and focus on the road Sumedh", her voice brought me back to reality and I averted my eyes embarrassed.

"I have given you the perfect nickname you know...khargosh. Even though you have matured your face still resembles a bunny", I said with a proud smirk on my face.

Her eyes immediately found mine and she looked like she had been caught off guard. "I don't look like a bunny...", she protested while cutely scrunching up her nose.

I just smiled, "yeah whatever you say...waise you hungry? I'm starving. I haven't eaten anything from morning."

"No I'm not. Unlike you I know how to take care of my health. I have my meals on time", she told me with a look of superiority and her stomach chose that exact moment to growl loudly.

I snickered, " I think your stomach doesn't agree with you"

"Shut up and drive"

"I'll stop at Vidya Bhavan. Both of us can have a quick bite and don't refuse...it's because I need energy to drive".

"You still eat at Vidya Bhavan?? I mean you have become a famous actor and you can eat at many fancy restaurants", she asked in a surprised tone.

"Becoming an actor does not mean that I have forgotten to live a normal and simple life. I'm still the same Sumedh with whom you had been friends. And also many memories are tied to this hotel which I don't want to forget", I replied with a gentle smile on my face.

She nodded satisfied with my answer and we settled into silence again. But this time it felt like some of the hostility between us had vanished.

As I parked the car her quiet voice found my ears, "wear a cap. I don't want my face in the tabloids tomorrow."

I turned around to face her with a mischievous smirk playing on my lips,"Oh so you do acknowledge that I have become a famous star."

She rolled her eyes and got down from the car but not before I could catch the small smile on her face. It's always been a mystery to me at how even the smallest of her smiles could lighten up my mood.

                     --------------------------

Mallika's POV:

I walked into the hotel and felt a wave of nostalgia wash over me. Vidya Bhavan is very close to my old school and also cheap and therefore many students can be found here chilling at any time of the day. This hotel has been a witness to both of our chit-chats, gossips, fights, apologies and laughter. It used to be the favourite hangout place for us until I moved to Jammu.

A waiter greeted Sumedh, "Kaise ho Sumedh? Usually tum morning chai ke liye aathi hona...?"

"Teek hoon Ram bhaiya...aaj ek special guest hai mere sath...aap ko khargosh Yaad hai?", He said pulling me to stand next to him.

"Haan bilkul...tum aur tumari khargosh ko kaise bula sakthihoon.. Whenever both of you came the whole hotel would become lively"

I blushed and waved my hand, " how are you Ram bhaiya?? I missed this place so much..."

"Mai teek hoon beta. We also missed you so much. After you left Mumbai, Sumedh would come, order chai and sit at your usual table for a long time without talking to anyone."

I raised my eyebrows at Sumedh, but he avoided eye contact with me and scratched the back of his neck.

Ram bhaiya led us to a corner table and gave us the menu. I went to the restroom while Sumedh ordered for both of us. When I came back I was shocked to see that Sumedh had remembered my exact order even after seven years: butter naan, paneer makhani and chocolate milkshake with whipped cream.

"You still remember my order?"

"I remember every single moment with you. You are the one who has forgotten me and moved on", he said in a low tone and his now dark hazel eyes rattled me to the core.

I clasped my hands under the table and looked at him accusingly, " If you remember every single moment with me, then you should also remember the moment when you hurt me with your betrayal."

He pursed his lips and looked at me with a hurt expression . I could feel tears brimming in my eyes and I blinked rapidly to get rid of them. Today had been a long day and I wouldn't be able to handle an emotional outburst in front of him. I looked down and started eating not throwing a glance at him for the rest of the meal.

God, I wanted this day to end...

************************************

Hi guys, I'm back with a new chapter.

Hope all of you like it.

Will the evening end on a good note for both Mallika and Sumedh?

Please vote and feel free to comment 🙏.