Chapter 11

Sumedh's POV:

It was 2:00 in the afternoon. Vidya Bhavan was crowded when all of us entered the restaurant. The aroma of tasty food hit my nostrils and I gave a contended sigh. I looked at my company, Dau and Mallika had the exact same expression on their faces with dau already counting the items on the menu. I smiled at them and we managed to find an empty table.

"This place is so crowded and there is no A/C also. Don't know how the food is going to taste. Why is your selection like this Mallika?", Jeevika criticised her.

I glanced at Mallika. Her eyes were filled with fury and she was about to retort when I interfered, " This place is crowded because the food here tastes heavenly. One time you try the food you will get addicted to it."

Jeevika pouted at me and Mallika smirked with satisfaction. Whew, one fight disrupted.

We had ordered the North Indian Thaali and as soon as it was served, the three of us started digging in greedily while Jeevika looked at her plate with skeptical eyes.

"Arrey Jeevika, try the food. Its awesome. Especially this kheer", Dau urged her. She smiled uneasily at him and was about to eat the kheer when Mallika suddenly turned my face towards her roughly.

"Sumi I know you love kheer. Here eat mine also", she forcefully fed me with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Some of the kheer was smeared on my chin  and she wiped it with the back of her hand. My heart started beating irregularly at her actions and I gazed at her affectionately even though I knew she was only doing it to annoy Jeevika. I pushed her hands away with a sigh while she looked at me with an innocent expression. If looks could kill, then Jeevika might have been the perfect example. She gave Mallika a death stare and stuffed the food into her mouth. Dau observed the three of us amusedly as if watching a drama unfold in front in him.

"By the way Mallika I thought your dream was to become a national level basketball ball player. Why did you become an actor then? Did you not get selected?", Jeevika questioned her mockingly. All of us waited for her answer. This question was bugging me for days and I badly wanted to know the truth.

For a minute I felt Mallika stiffen next to me and noticed her painful expression. And then the moment passed and she flashed a smile though it didn't reach her eyes.

"Woh... my dream changed and I decided to become an actress. Its not like I have to live with only one dream my entire life."

Dau and Jeevika accepted her answer but I could see through her lies. The Mallika I know would never give up on her dream no matter what happens. I wanted to question her further, but contained the urge. This conversation should be reserved for another time and another place when no one is around.

------------------
Mallika's POV:

I took a taxi home. After lunch I had parted ways with the other three even though Dau insisted me to come and have coffee with them. Suddenly I experienced a sharp fleeting pain in my right knee. I squeezed my eyes shut and took deep breaths to control the pain. Jeevika's question had brought back traumatic memories, but I somehow managed to give a fitting reply. I had senesed Sumedh's narrowed eyes on me and knew that he didn't buy my story, but nevertheless he had kept quiet and I thanked my stars.

I took a few painkillers and rested my head against the car window. I unconsciously slipped into memories of my past with Sumedh...

It was the beginning of summer holidays of ninth grade. Our gang including Aadi had decided to go to the movies. Harsh, Kirti, Sumedh and I had already reached the theatre and were discussing about which movie to watch when Aadi along with his cousin sister met us. Yes, this cousin is Jeevika Malhotra. She had come to stay with Aadi for the two month duration of holidays. Jeevika had introduced herself and shook hands with all of us. When she had extended her hand towards Sumedh, Kriti and I could tell that this girl had fallen for Sumedh's charming eyes. It was love at first sight for her. At that time I didn't know about Jeevika's calculative nature and unknowingly became friends with her.

Things went smooth during the first week of her stay. All of us would meet up, go to cafes, carnivals, beaches, malls and enjoy to our heart's content. But then slowly she would cancel out on our plans and would only want to spend time with Sumedh. She used to pull him along with her to wherever she went, the only exception being the restroom. And Sumedh being an unassuming immature idiot wouldn't deny her advances and fulfilled her wishes. As time went by her demands became unbearable and I was not even able to sneak in a word of greeting to Sumedh. The whole day he would hang out with her, but when I tried to talk to him, he would suddenly become very tired.

Sumedh did not pay attention to my warnings and instead he felt that I was criticizing Jeevika because of my jealousy that I couldn't spend time with him anymore. Maybe it was true, I was jealous, but I wouldn't accept this fact in front of him. I was exasperated at Sumedh's changed behaviour. He refused to listen to me and would always take Jeevika's side in our arguments.

As the summer holidays were coming to an end, I was in for a surprise. My mom had made food for Sumedh as his parents were out of station and I went to his house to deliver it. The front door was not locked and so, I let myself in and kept the food container in the kitchen and headed upstairs to call him. His room door was ajar and I could hear two voices. I will never be able to forget the scene which happened next... Jeevika proposed Sumedh and kissed him on the cheek while he stood still like a statue. Tears welled up in my eyes and I ran away from there without hearing Sumedh's answer...

The taxi stopped in front of my house with a screech and I woke up with a start. I paid the driver and as I was about to enter my house, my phone beeped with a notification from someone called 'my favourite noodles':

"Tomorrow is our first dance workshop. I'll pick you up and don't be late. Good night and don't let the bed bugs bite😘"

************************************

Hey guys, sorry for not updating the past few days. Hope all of you will like the chapter. And please comment if you want the story to change direction or to speed up a little. Your feedback will be very valuable.

As always please vote and comment 🙏.