Chapter 9

Mallika's POV:

My fatal flaw has always been my temper. This time too because of my temper I found myself in Sumedh's tight embrace (not that I complained much).

In my eagerness to irritate Jeevika, without thinking I had dragged Sumedh along with me to the balcony. I was vexed at his dismissal of the nickname I had given him and for also allowing Jeevika to call him Sumi.

"Should we discuss the chemistry you were talking about?", his soft breath fell on my neck.

I stiffened in his hold; his calm hazel eyes met my fiery brown orbs and I immediately felt my anger melting away. This happens every time whenever I am with him. It's baffling as to how he always manages to pacify my anger with just a gentle smile and his soothing eyes. Nevertheless I strived to maintain my grumpy demeanor.

"Don't act smart with me Sumedh. You know what I meant."

His hand on my waist now slowly started to caress my face and I closed my eyes savouring his touch even as my brain warned me against this display of affection.

"You look beautiful in blue Mallika. My favourite colour", he stated with his hand now placing the unruly strands of hair behind my ears.

"I didn't wear it for you", I managed to blurt out. I suddenly felt a strong desire to hug him and feel the warmth that radiated from him just like old times.

At that crucial moment, my phone rang loudly and I jumped a few steps back from his hold. The magic spell was now broken and both of us took a moment to catch our breaths and compose ourselves. I refused to meet his eyes and quickly ran into the changing room chiding myself for allowing this mess to happen.

-------------------
Sumedh's POV:

I sat with my shoulders slumped at the photo studio waiting for Mallika to join me for the look test. I didn't know what I was thinking. It was like my body had a mind of its own and it overrode my brain's instructions. I simply wanted to tease her a bit but my emotions got the better of me.

"And done! Your shoot is over Basant", the camera director shouted. Dau walked over to me and shook me a few times.

"Kya hua?Why is your face so dull? I thought you will be very happy that your Mallika has become Radha"

"Woh Dau... I made a big blunder. I wanted to tease her a little but I ended up making her run away from me", I muttered regretfully.

"Arrey Sumedh, don't worry. Every relationship takes time to build. You can't force it to happen. She'll come around eventually", Dau ruffled my hair and comforted me.

Just then the door opened and my jaws dropped to the floor. Mallika along with Siddharth sir entered the studio, both of them busily talking with each other. I checked her out from the corner of the room. She looked exactly like a goddess. Her eyes were twinkling and she beamed with joy at something Siddharth sir told her. She was dressed up in a green embroidered blouse and skirt that reached her ankles. Her feet were adorned with anklets and bangles jingled from her hands. Her hair was plaited into two just like the other day and decorated with flowers.

"Stop drooling Sumedh. And go talk to her. Introduce me also", Dau elbowed me.

I nodded and both of us headed over to them. Sir greeted us and was about to introduce Mallika to me when I blurted out, "you look gorgeous than before."

Mallika raised her eyebrows at my statement and sir asked me surprised, "do you know Mallika before itself?"

Before I could answer in the affirmative she interrupted me, "No sir, we don't know each other. We just met outside the changing rooms", she turned towards me, "thanks for the compliment Sumedh. You also look handsome." Her tone indicated that she only wanted to maintain a professional relationship with me and nothing else.

I was hurt at her attitude but didn't comment further. Instead I introduced Dau to Mallika, "he is Basant and is going to portray Balram's part."

Both of them shook hands and started chatting with each other comfortably while I zoned out. Mallika and I were asked to position ourselves for the shoot and Dau exited the frame with a wink towards Mallika. I narrowed my eyes at him but he just shrugged and mouthed Enjoy the shoot with your dream girl.

I was getting myself into character when she warned me in a low voice, "don't you dare flirt with me again Sumedh Mudgalkar."

I was irked by her words, but just nodded at her. I took a deep breath and pressed the flute to my lips with a soft smile on my face. She placed her hands on my shoulder and looked into my eyes with adoration and I had to remind myself that it was only for the photo. We took a few more shoots with different poses and with each pose I struggled to calm my beating heart.

The final pose required her to hug me. She rested her head on my chest next to my heart and gently gripped my arms. I silently prayed that she wouldn't hear my heartbeat and encircled her petite frame. Time stood still as I inhaled her scent and relished the warmth that emanated from her, involuntarily closing my eyes.

"PERFECT shot guys. Well done. It's a wrap", the director shouted and brought me back to reality.

Immediately she pushed me off her and I lost my patience, "stop pushing me away Mallika. I won't bite you."

"Then stop coming close to me"

"What do you mean I came close to you? It was needed for the photo."

"Don't act like an innocent person Sumedh. I know you boys vey well.", she shot daggers at me.

"Yeah finally both of us agree on something. You know boys very well.", I told her sarcasm dripping from my voice.

We bickered back and forth and the entire room looked at us amused.

************************************

Hi guys, I'm back with a new chapter. Hope you guys liked it.

Next chapter will reveal a little about Mallika's and Jeevika's sour relationship.

Please vote and comment 🙏.