Chapter 12

Mallika's POV:

Just as I opened the front door, my phone beeped with a notification from someone called 'my favourite noodles':

"Tomorrow is our first dance workshop. I'll pick you up and don't be late. Good night and don't let the bed bugs bite😘".

I rolled my eyes at his childishness and involuntarily gave a small smile. I stood there for a few moments contemplating on my reply when I heard mumma calling me inside. I put the phone into my bag and hurried inside to give her a hug and to share the details of how my day went.

She served me dinner and I showed her some of the look test photographs. Mumma squealed with joy seeing the snaps and listened attentively to my story which I recounted animatedly. I then informed her about my workshop tomorrow and she insisted that she would cook for both Sumedh and me. I tried to persuade her from straining herself but no one can stop my mom once she has made up her mind. A lot of people have told me that I had gotten my stubborn nature from my mom...looks like it is true. I just smiled fondly at her while she ran around the kitchen trying to come up with a menu for tomorrow.

I headed up to my room and changed into comfortable clothes, freed my hair from the tight ponytail and removed the traces of makeup from my face. I lied down on the bed and closed my eyes with a tired sigh. A few minutes would have passed when my brain reminded me that I haven't yet replied to Sumedh's text and I sat up straight on the bed with a jolt.

I was in a dilemma. I wanted to deny his offer, but that would only make things sour between us knowing his personality. He will sulk the whole day tomorrow and the day would end on a bad note for both of us. Instead I could be professional with him and not indulge in any personal talks. After all we are going to be co stars and have to work on our chemistry. I also had a tiny hope that due to this show maybe our bond could be restored to some extent and the underlying bitterness between us could vanish. I convinced myself that it was for the best and took the phone from the bedside table to text him back.

"What time should I be ready?"

Immediately I got a reply from him, "I'll pick you up at 7:30 and have an umbrella with you. The forecast is rainy tomorrow"

My heart fluttered at his simple gesture and I smiled dreamily at the phone.

"Off the lights and go to sleep Mallika", mumma yelled from downstairs and I instantly wiped the smile off my face and slapped my forehead hard. Don't get distracted Mallika.

"Fine." I sent him a word of acknowledgement. I placed my phone back on the table and pulled the covers over me to sleep when the phone screen again brightened with a notification from 'my favourite noodles': "No goodnight? You're so mean 😖"

I giggled at his antics and replied to him, "GOOD NIGHT. Now don't disturb me. I need to sleep."

"Yes mam.your wish is my command."

I smiled amusedly at his reply and I mentally noted to change his name on my phone.

-----------------------
Sumedh's POV:

It was 7:15 when I reached Mallika's house in the morning. I had expected her to turn down my offer, but she had surprisingly accepted it and I was overjoyed would be an understatement. I parked the car, checked my reflection in the rear view mirror and took a deep breath. You can do this Sumedh. Don't get into fights with her and focus on building your friendship. I gave myself a small pep talk and rang the doorbell.

Mallika's mom opened the door and I greeted her cheerfully, " Hi aunty, how are you?"

"I'm fine Sumedh. Come in. Mallika is getting ready."

I nodded and settled down on the sofa while she hurriedly packed food for the both of us. I glanced at the wall clock: 7:45 am. I tapped my foot impatiently. It was time for my morning chai and this girl has still not come down. Suddenly I heard her annoyed voice floating through the house, "Mumma I can't find my hair dryer anywhere . I'm already late and your darling Sumi would not like it if I am late."

I chuckled softly at her words. She ran down the stairs with her wet hair open and flying in all directions. As she kept her foot on the last stair, her eyes met mine and she faltered in her steps. I could feel butterflies in my stomach. She looked beautiful with her wet fringes sticking to her forehead and a cute pink blush adorning her cheeks. She wore a simple maroon kurti paired with black leggings and a white shawl draped around her shoulders. I stared at her unashamedly and she averted her eyes shyly and bit her full glossy lips.

"Mallika, take mine and get ready fast. Sumedh is already here", her mom shouted from the kitchen and we broke out of the trance. She quickly greeted me and rushed inside while I sat there with a goofy smile on my face.

Finally after about ten minutes she was all ready for the day and we went to my car. I remembered her preference for the back seat and opened the door for her.

"I want to ride shotgun today", she got into the front seat and I once again stood for a few seconds gaping at her sassyness. This girl would one day drive me crazy and I knew that I would have no problem with it.

"Let's go drink chai first. The workshop starts only at 10:00. We have a lot of time to kill."

"Kya? Workshop is only at 10:00...then why did you pick me up so early. I could have slept for an extra hour", she grumbled.

"Muhje pata tha that you'll be sleeping like kumbhkaran if I let you. You need to get into a routine, if you want to survive in this industry", I explained and she looked at me with raised eyebrows trying to figure me out.

"Hmm...waise your love for tea has not yet decreased."

"Kabi Nahi. I'll never betray my tea", I grinned heartily which brought up a dazzling smile on her face. This day is going to be perfect.

************************************

Hey guys, new chapter update. Hope all of you will like it. The next one or two chapters would be about the preparations they do for the show. After that the story will take a turn.

Please vote and feel free to comment 🙏.