New Mission

──────────────────────────

He woke up with his body soaked in sweat. His breath hitched once he realized it was only a dream. Even if it was just his imagination painting images─ it felt so real that he couldn't tell the difference between reality and his imagination anymore. 

There were no bounds. 

Kakashi looked down to his hands painfully to see that there was no blood; The same hands that couldn't save his comrade, and the same ones that killed another. Every night, it was a continuous cycle of dreaming of the past. 

The way Obito died, the way he killed Rin, the way Minato was killed─ all of these past events haunted him in his sleep and he knew it was too late to try and fix that. 

And every time he woke up, there was no one to tell him that he was okay or to tell him that he didn't have to worry anymore. Instead, the only voice that he had to listen to was his own dreading one.

Rule 64: a Shinobi must rise with the sun. He slowly pushed himself off of his bed and began to get ready for the day. 

He set his bed up and changed himself into his normal Anbu attire. Kakashi looked down at himself to see a few blood stains that never seemed to wash off his Anbu gear, although to him, the bloodshed was a symbol of victory.

When preparing himself some food, a frog tapped on his window. He opened the window enough so that he didn't push the frog away and took the small slip of paper that was attached to its back.

"Come to the Hokage's office once you've read this -Jiraiya"

The masked man let out a small sigh before grabbing his things and heading to said place. While taking his sweet time, he noted the presence of a kid that resided knocked out near a swing. His blonde hair covered most of his face but Kakashi could recognize exactly who it was by just looking at that shade of yellow.

The air was somewhat chilly yet the boy only wore a t-shirt and shorts. Kakashi shrugged his thoughts off regardless and left the boy there, laying on the floor with no protection.  

──────────────────────────

"Lord Hokage, I've been summoned." he kneeled down to his superior and made subtle eye contact with the man who stood beside him. His eye soon trailed downwards to see a small girl who clasped her hands behind her back shyly yet her expression said otherwise. With just his first glance her way, he could tell that she wasn't an ordinary child. 

Although, he decided to pay no mind to it knowing that she was surely not of his business whatsoever. 

"You may rise." Hiruzen instructed. Kakashi did as he was told and locked eyes with the Hokage. "I hereby appoint you an A ranked mission. You're an Anbu working directly below me, and I didn't think that there would be another person who could do this better than you." He smiled although Kakashi cocked a single brow. 

Jiraiya slightly pushed the small girl forward, causing her to stumble a bit. Her short pink hair really did catch Kakashi's attention, but that was just about it.

"This is Sakura Haruno." The Hokage took a blow from his pipe and blew the smoke out swiftly. "And you'll be her mentor and supervisor until further notice."

"Nice to meet you, Bakashi!"

Jiraiya chuckled under his own breath as Kakashi stared at her blankly before closing his eyes for a split second, knowing fully well that Jiraiya must've been the one to tell her that name.