When Hazel and Onyx Met

────────────────────

The young duo quietly trudged themselves side by side with thoughts running carelessly through their heads. Their only sense of light regretfully shone down from the full moon above their heads─ with the exception of the very few streetlights. Naruto's fingers curled around the straps of his backpack as his index fingers tapped a baseless melody against it, a displeasing frown creasing his face.

"Teme, do we really need ta' go this way?" He inquired fearfully, following close up with Sasuke as they made their way through numerous dimmed, narrowed alleyways. 

Sasuke glanced back to his best friend for a moment, activating his Sharingan he said, "Is' so that we don't get caught."

"But that's the point." He released his fingers from his straps and brought them together to twiddle. "So if we leave, then wha'? How're we gonna find Sakura-chan? I jus'.... Wanna know."

the raven's blood-dyed eyes iced over to the question, leaving Naruto with utter silence as they continued on their way. 

He wanted to see Sakura more than ever, he wanted to be around her more than ever─ although what Sasuke had in mind didn't seem like the best choice of action. Once they reached the end of the alleyway, the moon shone down to them brighter than it had any other night. The Uchiha retrieved a kunai from his backpack and held it up. The two stared at the way the moonlight's glimmer complimented the kunai. 

"We'll find her. I promise, Naruto."

"But teme─!"

"Keep it down."

"─We can't jus' go out an' look aroun' with no idea where she is,"  He shamefully peered down from the kunai as he thought of the woman's tears from the other day. "If the adults don' know, how can we find her?"

Sasuke heaved a deep sigh, shaking his head and continuing on his way. "Shut up."

He placed the kunai back into his backpack, hastening his pace. Naruto wanted to be there for him no matter what, he wanted to be able to find Sakura and stick to the side of his only friend. 

But he knew this himself, there was no way they could find her. No way, not in a million years, could they even think of finding a girl who disappeared along with the moon that one night. 

"We can find her if we try." Sasuke uttered, forcing a smile to his lips as he turning around to face Naruto. He placed his hands upon his tiny shoulders, "We can't give up if we haven' even started. Sakura..... She would have done the same for us, Naruto. Don' fail her now, 'kay?" 

A pair of ocean hues strolled tears down the reddened cheeks of the blonde, bringing Sasuke to stiffen his forced smile. 

────────────────────

The main gate of Konohagakure, there it was. It was much larger than what they'd expected, but it was a beautifully built wooden gate─ the sacred symbol  of their village proudly painted over it as a reminder of where they came from. 

They had no idea if there were any secret passage ways for them to exit out of the village, and so they were forced to take the main gate. It was closed, obviously, with guards at the top walking around with torches. Sasuke quickly grabbed Naruto's wrist and tried to drag him to a corner so that they weren't caught, though the latter refused to move from his revealing position. 

"They'll see─!" Sasuke warned. 

"I wan' them to." Naruto whispered, squeezing his eyes shut. 

"Look at me, Naruto. There isn't much time."