Words Engraved Onto the Tongue

────────────────────

A failed mission was one way to put it. 

The first thing he noticed once he reached the large gates of Konoha was the amount of ever blooming Sakura trees that stood high. The second thing he noticed were the climbing Eden roses that seemed to be situated onto lamp posts, gates and fences. it was just like Kusagakure and it left Kakashi to tighten the fists that he had situated into his pockets. 

"Finally back!" Anko let out a sigh of exasperation as she glanced around her home village. "So this place has the new flowers too, eh? That's odd, we've never had so many flowers scattered around Konoha─ ever." She added. 

"Right." his voice trailed off. 

The purple haired Jonin leaned forward and cocked her head to the side as the two of them continued to walk side by side. "This isn't a failed mission just so you know. We're doing what the fucked up kid said."

The masked man sole eye iced over at the remark. "And if it was just a lie?"

"Oh please, weren't you the one who convinced me? This is why i call you a crazy fuck.... You can never get your crap together." She chuckled mischievously as she prepared herself to bug those around her. 

She sped walked ahead from the masked man and let her lips plaster a grin across them. The Anbu lieutenant could only watch from the near distance in a quiet manner. The spring air that surrounded them almost made it seem like she was running freely with it, he couldn't tear his gaze away from her, but with the might he had, he brought them away and to the sky. 

The sky's bright blue colour only seemed to be brightening by the day, making it seem more joyful and glamorous. His shoulders dropped to the realization and his eye ever so slightly narrowed from the peace that surrounded him. 

"Yo!"

The two guards that had regular duty were standing by their designated area. They cocked their heads towards the voice and their eyes widened. 

"Lady Anko?" Kotetsu cheered.

"You got that right!"

The duo's gaze traveled further down Anko's direction to see a dazed masked man. 

Izumo glanced down his papers and began to search before offering a bow to the woman. "You've returned after about.... 3 months?" as Kakashi approached, he bowed once more. "Welcome back, Kakashi-san."

He simply proffered a nod. 

"Do us a favour and don't inform Hokage-sama that we've returned." Anko ordered. "We'll inform him ourselves so just keep those big mouths of yours shut, yeah? Yeah."

Kotetsu cocked a brow up as Izumo leaned forward from the desk he was situated at. 

"Are you sure?"

She groaned. "No, I'm not sure."

There was high sarcasm intended in her voice, making izumo lean back and sigh

"Welcome back."

With that, Kakashi spared them one last glance before they took their leave. 

Kotetsu's eyes softened, almost lovingly. "Kakashi.... He's...."

"Yeah, I noticed too." Izumo returned. 

────────────────────

The two of them took to the alleyways of Konoha to be noticed less.