Chapter 16

After grandma's stunt, the anger I felt never really died rather it seemed to grow at the sight of her and I guessed she noticed because for the first time in my life, she respected me and stayed out of my business. After all, she couldn't just neglect and abuse me and ask me why I never spoke to her.

Mum and grandma Dafe had noticed my sour mood and tried all the tricks in their book to get me to spill but I wouldn't budge. Maybe because I felt nobody should shoulder my burdens with me and I just wanted to be alone. I couldn't help but worry about my reaction.

If grandma had said this before, maybe I would have been happy.  Shocked, yes but also happy. Instead I felt this anger from the pit of my belly. I deserved better. I craved for better things but I no longer grieved for the things I didn't have rather, I was angry at those who deprived me of those things.

A knock on my room door brought me to the present and I muttered 'Come in ' .

Grandma Dafe walked in and I smiled at her
"Omo" she said joining me on the bed "How are you? "
"Fine ma "

She smiled and nodded at my response then put on a serious expression and began to speak  "Your mother is worried about you and so am I "

"I'm fine grandma " I assured her not wanting to burden her but she shook her head, unconvinced.

"It's not true. Jasmine, you know I know you like the back of my palm"

I laughed at that , but then it was true. Grandma joined me in laughing and we stayed that way for a while before she pulled me close to her and I inhaled her wonderful scent.

"You know you can talk to me right?"
"Yes grandma "

"Good, so feel free to do so anytime, anywhere, anyday "

I decided to play a little

"So anytime, I can come at two in the morning or when you're in the toilet or bathroom "

She laughed and knocked me lightly
"Silly girl.  Play play "

I laughed and held her tight.
Gosh!  I  love this woman.  Strict and all but she was loving, caring, kind.

We stayed in comfortable silence for a while before she said some more motivational quotes and left. 

My mood was highly lifted and I set about arranging my things for school resumption tomorrow.

I actually felt excited since I'd be seeing everyone again and I missed Dayfort although once school activities resumed, I'll be tired again and wish for another holiday.  I laughed at myself

Life of a student.

I had finished arranging my things and I was just out of the bathroom and in my nightgown ready to sleep when my door opened and dad came in. I stood up immediately and greeted him

"Good evening sir"  He nodded in response to my greeting and took his seat on the chair

"Have you received your first term's report card ?" he asked me

"No sir, my teacher said she'll give it to me tomorrow "

"Hmm, okay. You know the drill, first position or you won't like what will come your way"

I gulped
Lord help me

"Yes sir " I said

"If you like,  go and fight again. You will meet me "

" I won't sir "

"Better " he said and with that he left the room.

I locked the door after he left and slid to the floor with my back leaning against the door.  First position.