His family doesn't approve of your relationship

You were different, different from the women Michele would usually associate with. You were independent, you had a job, you owned an apartment and you definitely didn't want to depend on a man. You weren't afraid of speaking your mind, you simply didn't care. You were aware of the fact that you stood out, your sparkling and energetic personality couldn't be hidden. It was known that you stood up for human rights, you disgraced individuals who were racist, homophobic, transphobic and sexist. You weren't ashamed to interrupt anyone who expressed their biased opinions. You didn't care if you so had to scold the queen of England, if someone was being an asshole the person deserved to be killed with knowledge. If Michele had uttered any fucked up opinion, you wouldn't proudly have him by your side. His kindness and consideration regarding equality and human rights drew you to him. The two of you would attend different protests, donate money to charity who support children and vulnerable people. Michele respected your outspoken personality and saw the good in you, even though his family thought the exact opposite. His mother's mission was to separate the two of you, she didn't appreciate Michele being involved in politics due to his fame. You, on the other hand knew that his fame could be empowering and make a difference. Michele's sister would try her best to come between the two of you, she would invite you over for a coffee and then call Michele in tears. She lied about your behaviour, trying to persuade Michele into thinking that you were out of your mind - which you were when you found out about her lies. 

You and Michele were invited to Michele's brother's birthday party. The whole family were going to attend the party, you could already sense the tension. Their judgemental gazes would be focused on you the whole evening.  Your family would never stoop so low, it wouldn't even occur to them. They treated Michele as if he was their own son. Michele and your father would go golfing, at least twice a month. Your mother admired Michele for his success and his humbleness, he adored her baking which resulted in freshly baked goods every time the two of you went for a visit. You didn't expect Michele's family to treat you as their own daughter, you expected respect and a somewhat friendly treatment. You had to prepare yourself mentally, for the party, you tried to convince yourself that it would be pleasant.

"It's going to be fine" you heard Michele's deep voice as you were getting dressed for the evening. Michele must have sensed your anxiety since you were awfully quiet. 

"It's always tensed as hell" you muttered as you glanced at yourself in the mirror. The black knee length dress hugged your curves, your appearance was elegant - just the way you wanted it to be. Your hair was placed in a low bun, the red lipstick was on fleek but yet, you didn't feel ready to leave the safeness of the house. 

"If someone says anything to you, tell me. It's going to be the last thing they say, okay?" Michele said, his tattooed hand was carefully rubbing your bare arm. You adored his protectiveness, even though you were capable of standing up for yourself.  You nodded in response as you felt his soft lips on your neck, you immediately closed your eyes, feeling him close to you. 

"You're beautiful" he mumbled into your neck. His words brought a smile to your lips "fuck the party, we could do something else" he added with a smirk. 

"Michele, it's your brother's birthday. Let's go" you said as you took a step away from him. 

"We're not going to stay for long" he rasped as he adjusted his white button up shirt. You winked at him and placed your hand on his. His warmth calmed your nerves, calmness was exactly what you needed.

As soon as the two of you stepped a foot into the luxurious banquet hall, all eyes were on you. A thick silence spread itself across the banquet hall. You kept your head up high, even though you wanted to bow it. Michele's brother hugged Michele, but ignored your presence. Did it sting? You would lie if you said no. Two or three cousins greeted you, the rest ignored you. When you greeted his mother, she immediately turned her head, meaning that she wasn't interested in having a conversation with you. You felt uncomfortable and unwanted, the whole situation was ridiculous. Michele wasn't blind, he saw their behaviour and your attempts to be friendly. Their coldness was definitely a knife to your heart. You were biting your lip, most of the evening in order to prevent your eyes from tearing. 

Michele was furious, he saw you sitting alone most of the time. A few cousins would take a seat next to you, engage in a small conversation and then leave. His siblings wouldn't even take a step near you, which angered him. He didn't understand his family, at all. You had been nothing but kind to them. They had decided to dislike you, since the beginning. You weren't a gold digger, a woman who would birth five children and be a stay at home mother, you respected everyone who could, but it wasn't you. Michele was trying to keep his rage at bay, but when dinner was served to everyone except of you he couldn't hold it. 

"Where's her plate?" Michele angrily questioned, as his brother was about to speak Michele's mother interrupted. 

"There is no food for her" pure shook was written across Michele's facial features. His eyes had turned dark as he was furiously biting the inside of his cheek. 

"Why is that?" Michele's voice was dangerously low, his stare was intense as hell. 

"We don't like her. Why would we treat her as a treasure. She isn't Italian, she's not going to be a good wife for you. I don't want her to birth my grandchildren" his mother spat, not even glancing at you. You had lowered your head, the situation was embarrassing. Everyone's attention was on Michele and his mother. 

"Disgusting, fucking disgusting" Michele angrily said as he lit a cigarette in front of his mother. He exhaled the smoke, as a hand went through his hair "if you can't see that I'm happy with her, it's your loss. You have two choices, either you accept her or you're losing your son" Michele furiously added. The sound of gasping was heard from across the room. His mother had become pale. Michele was impatiently waiting for her response. 

"I will never accept her" the mother said. Michele nodded as he grabbed your hand. 

"Let's go mi amore. You deserve a better family, then this" he angrily spat at his mother. He threw the cigarette on the marble ground, without a care in the world. Michele turned back to his mother "you lost your son, I hope you're proud" and then the two of you walked out. With a heavy heart you followed Michele to the car. You disgraced the situation but you couldn't affect his mother, she had already made a choice. 

"Don't worry, tesoro. It's going to be fine" Michele added before stepping into the car. You sighed heavily as the tears streamed down your face.

Thank you so much for reading!