_.__

"As I was saying..." Yeonjun walks towards a chestnut cabinet where Radon stores the most expensive liquors. He reaches in, pulling out an ornate glass bottle of scotch. "Jackson should really get some more off-counter experience--Jimin, let Jackson shadow you around the tables tonight."

The suggestion is less a question than it is an order, spoken from the highest-rated bartender at Radon. Although he lips-off the most and has the least amount of patience among the other bartenders, Yeonjun still has seniority over Jimin. The task is understood.

"Okay." Jimin nods, pretending to organize the wine glasses so that his frown can't be seen. "Jackson's with me tonight."

It's not that he doesn't like Jackson--he's had to train a few employees before, and none of them were as promising as Jackson seems--but tonight he's feeling on edge. Ever since he received Jackson's text message at Pilates class, he's been feeling ill. The memories of his rotten past have risen from the darkest parts of his soul. It's like a switch has been turned on to summon his alter-ego. His worse self. The old Jimin, who used to go to extremes in order to keep the peace, subjecting himself to traumatic experiences he brushed off in the moment as a side-effect of making others happy.

Yoon Gyuri...

The name tastes rotten in his mouth, feels intrusive even in his mind. She was never his official girlfriend--he never asked her (he didn't like her) and she never asked him. But to all her friends, he was the perfect boyfriend, the most handsome face...the one that would do anything she ordered him to. 

Gyuri's friends would always ask around...how does Gyuri get Jimin to be so obedient? To take her out regularly, treat her like a princess...cater to her every need? They were jealous of how lucky she got with him! They always thought Jimin was a total sweetheart, extremely dedicated to his girlfriend, and extra attentive to Gyuri's every need.

They never thought once that Jimin's obedience to Gyuri was anything other than a 'pureness rarely found these days.' They never even considered the possibility of manipulation or threats behind the scenes. They figured that the daughter of one of the largest business powers in Busan simply garnered a high respect from Jimin because of her admirable qualities. Never in a million years would teachers or students at Busan School of the Arts' believe that Yoon Gyuri wasn't anything but perfect behind closed doors. 

If Jimin told them she was actually a deranged sociopath, a greedy string-puller, and heartless down to the core--they would laugh.

"Cool." Jackson immediately flocks to Jimin's side a few minutes before their shift starts. "I've always wanted to talk to you more, but I've been stuck at counter!"

Jimin smiles. It doesn't reach his eyes. "Then today's your day. It gets wild out there, though, fair warning. Expect to mess up and get bumped around quite a bit."

"Got it." Jackson finishes cinching up the back of his black apron. He helps Jimin tidy up the rest of the glasses, then stands off to the side. "By the way, did you get my text earlier today...? Oh, you did. Good. Sorry I sent it so late, my sleep schedule is all out of wack since I started working here."

"No worries." Jimin raises his eyes, studying each mingling person in Radon. If Gyuri was here last night searching for him, then there's no doubt she'll be back tonight. When Gyuri wants something, she'll stop at nothing to get it. "Now, let's start by breaking up the ice a little bit. The tables are just starting to fill now, so we won't see much action for a while."

Jackson nods, getting to work by the container of ice below the counter. Jimin drifts into his thoughts, trying to reform the barrier he put up against her. Over the last few years he's made so much progress after his trauma, actually learning to accept women. Playing Perilation with Pluto97--even if Jimin doesn't want to give credit to the game--has helped ease him back into normality, accustoming himself to the ways of the world. Now, he isn't as disgusted by cleavage, women flirting with him...