Yasmine

I have always been interested in the supernatural world. Some say it's an obsession. I called it, having my eyes opened to all the world's possibilities. No one could tell me any different there is a reason why stories like those exist. How could they be made up and why?

Have you ever watched a television program about people's encounters with ghosts and other creatures? I have, and truthfully, I believe them. Call me crazy that's just me, plus I have been called worse.

My family mainly disown me; threw me away like I was a piece of paper from a damn copying machine. Did it hurt? I would have to say yes, at first. Now I see it as a sign one that they never loved me in the first fucking place. Maybe I'm wrong but they will have to prove me wrong.

In case I forget to introduce myself, my name is Yasmine Walker. I'm a twenty-three-year-old, black single woman from New York who recently moved to New Orleans and loves everything about the supernatural. But not the fake shit they show in movies.

Why did I move to New Orleans, you asked? I heard because it's one of the best places in the world where all of the paranormal things happen. And I wanted to be in the center of it.

No, I don't work in the paranormal field. I actually have a decent job as an accountant at a local business here in New Orleans and in my free time, I research the supernatural while hoping to see a ghost or something one day. It was a dream I had.

Sadly it wouldn't be today because as usual, I had to work late. What was the use of hiring for a nine-to-five job if it also ended around 8 or 8:30 as of today? Then they hated to pay overtime and to make matters worse, my car broke down over a month ago and I called a uber over a fucking hour ago and haven't seen them yet. Anyhow what type of service tells you they are coming and never show? Now I had to walk home praying no one tries to kidnap me. Only because I refused to ride the bus and never had time to go look for another car.

I know...I know I believe in the fucking supernatural but scared of regular people. Everyone knows they can do much more harm than a ghost of a fucking goblin. The difference was they could use weapons that would kill if the wrong person had them. Plus humans had more reasons to be hateful and that thought scared me more than anything.

The way they snuck around in the dark didn't sit well, especially with some of the people in New Orleans. It had you watching your back listening for strange noises like the one I just heard behind me breathing right near my ear minutes away from my apartment. Slowly I turned, assessing my surroundings but nothing.

'I'm not crazy... I'm not crazy. I know I heard someone or something walking behind me,' I whispered to myself. I know I'm on the crazy side but that fucking crazy to make me hear things that weren't there. Someone was breathing down my neck... I felt it. Where were they? It didn't matter because I wasn't sticking around to find out as I quickly picked up my speed, but I could only go so fast with four-inch heels on.

Nearing the apartment building, I heard the noise again and something touched me. I spun around quickly seeing nothing. I was all for the supernatural but this wasn't what I was hoping for, it felt like someone was stalking me an uneasy feeling.

"Show your fucking face, coward!" The first thing that came to my mind waiting for the person to come into the light knowing it was just wishful thinking. After noticing I was the only person on the street I turned on my heels sprinting to my building and punching in my code access code.

Maybe I lied. I wanted to discover supernatural beings, but not at the cost of my life. I also didn't want them to approach me and I definitely didn't want to provoke them by any means.

Once inside the lobby, I let out a breath I didn't even know was holding, as I made my way to the elevators relieved to be home. Although I would feel much inside of my apartment and as soon as the doors opened on the elevator again I ran straight to my door unlocking it, as I was welcomed by a happy furball.