Chapter 18: Rewind

I wasn't really in the mood for school after what we read back in Caden's house

I was in Caden's car with the car hood down on our way to school. It was a silent ride but it wasn't internally. My thoughts were everywhere that I didn't know what or where to focus on anymore.

I closed my eyes and felt as the wind rushed through my face and hair. I kept my eyes closed the whole time till I felt the car slow down. Opening them back up, Caden was parking in the school parking lot.

He looked at me and asked, "You okay?" And I didn't deny it at all "I'm not okay, Caden. I'm not." He sighed "Sage, you still have time to back out from all of this. I swear if you want out from this investigation, it will never affect our friendship." I nodded my head "I know that but that doesn't mean that this will all stop. It doesn't mean that I won't have nightmares. It won't stop until we solve it together. So yes, I'm in this till the end." He just stiffly nodded and we got out of his car, waking inside the gates of boring hell that every teenager calls 'high school'.

I looked at Caden walking with a faint hint of panic on his face. He was still scared of the janitor with the slit wrists but I wasn't. Now seeing ghost feels normal to me. Even the deadly angry ones.

We stopped in our tracks as we saw Blue appear in front of us but we didn't have her attention and we couldn't exactly call her name in the middle of the hallway in front of everyone. She went to the boys' bathroom door and Caden and I followed her.

Once we got inside, she was standing there. Looking at herself in the mirror not even blinking. Thankfully the bathroom was empty. Caden called to her "BooBoo?" But she didn't respond. I said again "Blue?" Nothing. Caden and I looked at each other in question. He asked, "What's going on?" I shrugged "I don't know." Slowly she turned to us. Looking right at us and smiled "Ryan, you know I can't be in the boys' bathroom. What if Principal Allen sees us?"

What?

"Ryan, I'm serious. I should go now. I don't wanna get in trouble." Suddenly Blue looked distressed. She pushed like was pushing someone off of her and blurted it out "Ryan, enough! No means no. You don't always get what you want. I don't wanna be in this relationship if you're constantly going to get me into trouble and not listen to me when I say no." She sighed in disgust and walked right through Caden, making him squeal and out through the door.

He touched his torso like to make sure he wasn't hollowed and then looked at me "What the fuck was that?" I realized "She acted like she was Margaret."

"The poodle ghost?"

I nodded and explained "When I first saw Margaret, she thought I was her husband, Timothy. She acted like she was making diner for him and I guess that's what she did for him every night." I looked at him and saw his brows furrowed still trying to grip the concept that I was explaining "Maybe she was replaying a memory. Like when we do in our head when we're alive but for ghosts, it could be different. For them, replaying a memory is like acting it the same way."