Chapter 41: Confrontation

I'm the king 'round hereSo don't call me no goodI'm the king 'round here

So don't call me no good
I'm the king 'round here

I park my car near the forest and went through it to the main road. It started raining heavily, cold rain pouring down but I ignore it.

I walk in through the black gates only to find Crescent at the counter with a book in her hands, too into it. The place was quiet, chill-fully quiet. My feet walked to the counter and I was very much aware of the water drops on the floor as I make my way. I was drenched.

I ask "Crescent," she shrieks and drops her book down, picking it back up "I need to meet my uncle." As she looks at me, a gasp escapes her lips "You okay?!" She gets up from her seat, keeping her book face down, and approaches me from behind the counter, wearing sweatpants instead of those nurse pajamas "What happened to you? You're bleeding!" I touch my face to where her gaze went and I winced as my finger came in contact with my temple. I looked back at my fingers and saw blood on them.

She makes sure to put her pink hello-kitty bookmark between the pages and grabs the first aid kit from behind the counter. I back away "Crescent, this isn't the time right now." But she walks over to me "Do you want it to get infected?" She takes out cotton from the kit but before she stretches her arm towards me, I grab her wrist and say "I need to see uncle Gabriel." While looking at the pink watch around her other wrist "Sage, I love the fact you miss your uncle and keep visiting him with your friend but the hours are over. He's asleep by now." I nod, letting her hand go "I know but this is important." She shakes her head "I'm sure but if I let you in, I could lose my job." I beg her "Crescent, please, if this was wasn't important, I would've waited till the morning." She rubs the back of her neck and reasons "Let me just patch you up." I shake my head "Please!" She could see the desperation in my eyes and finally sighs and nods. I grab her by her shoulders and say "Thank you." Before running down the corridor and towards uncle Gabriel's room. Her whisper-yelling behind me "Don't run in the hall!"

PLAY THE SONG

I run towards his door and turn the knob, walking inside. The room was dark and I could almost see a figure sleeping in the bed. As I approached it, I began saying "Uncle Gabriel, wake up, I need your help please." I pull the blanket from the top of him only to find that there were a bunch of fluffy pillows under it. I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand as I heard him behind me "You have been a pain in my ass since the day you moved in, Sage." I let out a trembled sigh and turned around. I saw how the window behind him was broken and how he sat in uncle Gabriel's basketball wheelchair, rocking back and forth with his booted foot on the ground. I couldn't see his face but the silhouette because of the moonlight behind him.

He gets up from the wheelchair and says "For a teenage boy, you are an annoying rugrat." I back away from him until the back of my knees hit the side table behind me. I turn around and flick the lamp on. It wasn't bright but at least I could see his face. I was scared of him, I'm not gonna lie but I felt anger towards him too. So much anger.