Chapter 33: On My Own

Sing, sing, won't you sing for meBeast in your belly, you've got to let it breathe

Beast in your belly, you've got to let it breathe

Drained. I was drained.

It's been a whole week since our accident. Thankfully, Caden started walking normally. Our bruises were healing but he was still in my house.

For a week, there has been this odd silence between me and him, and for some reason, I don't care. The nightmares won't go away, it was the same over and over and over and over again. Every single day it's the same dream. It starts with me dropping Blue off at her house and ends with me getting murdered just like her.

I looked myself in the mirror as I brushed my teeth. Dark circles and paler skin. Emptiness - no emotions. I stopped caring for the smallest things. Skateboard was just another hobby that died.
Walking from the bathroom to my room, I saw Caden packing up his bags. I asked in one word "Leaving?" He replied with one word "Yes."

I haven't told him about the nightmares or what goes on in my head and I like to keep it that way. Don't think that not talking to him has something to do with being egotistic. No, it has something to do with protecting him. I need to protect Caden from all this, he's been hurt too much, he's cried enough for a lifetime.

He grabbed his hairbrush from the table and shoved it inside his bag, zipping it up, I heard him say behind me "Sage?" I turned around and looked at him. There was still a bandaid on his head. He said, "Tell your mom that I appreciate what she did for me."

"She knows. She doesn't need to be told twice, Caden."

He nodded his head one last time and walk out. I heard him climbing down the stairs and I closed my eyes, exhaling harshly through my nose.

I looked back at the couch that used to be his bed and took off the sheets, wrapping the couch up back into its form and moving it to its rightful place. I threw the sheets in the laundry basket and backed away. And then I realized that I just cleaned his existence away.

Wow, Sage. You are ruthless.

My phone started ringing and it was an unknown number. Accepting the FaceTime call, it was Gabriel.

He smiled "Been long since we've talked." I nodded my head without saying a word. It's like he was a psychic when he said "You figured it out, didn't you? You figured out how to control them." I didn't had the energy to lie to him "I didn't mean to. It just happened one night."

"Yeah, at the cemetery. News travels fast in this town. How do you feel?"

"You were right when you said about a hole appearing. You were right, uncle Gabriel. There is a black empty hole inside of me."