Chapter 49: Her

You might not wanna goBut it's okay to cryAnd it's alright to fold

But it's okay to cry
And it's alright to fold

SAGE POV

I made everyone get to bed.

Crescent offered mom if she wanted to sleep with her in the same room because she wasn't still talking to me. We left dad taped to the couch. Uncle Gabriel took Caden's parents' room. Ryan on the other couch because he was the lookout for my dad. I asked Caden if I can spend the night in Blue's room and he didn't mind.

As I was about to walk up the stairs, Ryan stopped me "Hey, Sage." I stopped to look at him. I saw the marks on his neck and I didn't feel sorry whatsoever. He said, "I'm sorry for all the bad things I said to you." I wrapped my arms against my chest "What are you sorry for? I kidnapped you and even tried to kill you, Ryan." He smiled but it wasn't a happy one "Yeah."

"I'm sorry that you found out that your brother killed Blue."

His eyes became glossy as he said "I'm sorry too." I asked him the question that was eating me up alive since the time I saw him helping uncle Gabriel "Why are you helping us? Why are you even here instead of going to your brother?" He replied "He stopped being my brother since the day he killed Blue. I was just too damn stupid to see past his good-sheriff facade." He added, "I wish my parents were alive, it hurts thinking that he's the only family I have left and a bad one."I smiled at him "Don't worry, Ryan. You're kind of one of us now." He smiled wider "Thank you, Sage. You're a really good guy, you know that?" I nodded and walked up.

Good? I don't think that's the word I'd prefer for myself.

I walked into her room and closed the room. I felt like all my worries, all my anger was outside that white door with a butterfly sticker on the top. All the weight in the world was outside as I stand here with a feeling of content.

I opened her closet and took out her soft brown sweater, hugging it. Imagining her little frame in my arms, her warmth against me. Holding me back tightly. I lay in her bed and drape her sweater across my chest as I take out her picture from the back of my phone case as I look at her, remembering every detail of her face and ignoring the chaos outside.

I felt the be dip beside me and I looked to my right. She laid right beside me as he looks at the picture in my hand and said with a smile "I remember that day. It was warm outside and I was happy too. That's the day dad bought me that jeep." I put the picture back in the case and turned to my side, gazing at her. She smiled "Was it true? What you said in the car before you..." she couldn't complete the sentence.

"Every word, Blue. Every single word."

PLAY THE SONG

She watched me with a smile but slowly burst into a cry "I wanna live, Sage. I wanna be alive again. I wanna be with you. And not like this. Not like a dead person. I wanna live, I wanna love you, I want to be alive for you, be with you. I wanna be alive." I wrap my arms around her and pull her to me. My nose was buried in her hair and I hated the fact I couldn't smell her. I didn't know what she smelled like or what her scent was. I couldn't feel her warmth either. I kissed her cheek, her nose, her jaw, her chin- all over her face but she never stopped crying. She said "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for being so dumb. If I didn't go back in that house- if I had just walked out without caring about Ryan's headache, I would've met you. I would've loved you, hold you, maybe even be with you forever. I'm so sorry." I held her face and made her look me in the eye "It wasn't your fault, Blue. None of it was. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not your fault."