Chapter 37: Choices

Another hard day, no water, no restI saw my chance, so I got him at last

I saw my chance, so I got him at last

"Two faceless men. One who kills her and the other that mostly watches."

I told uncle Gabriel about my nightmares after an hour of our teary moment. To make us feel better, he asked Crescent to slide in three sandwiches and four chocolate puddings in his lunch just for us.

He asks "And what about the woman in your nightmare?" I sighed "She's just a voice. But I remember this other nightmare I had and she screamed in my ear to wake me up." He had a crinkle between his grey brows which made me feel weird "You okay, uncle Gabriel?" He nodded "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. It's just unusual." I was tired of talking all about this. So I asked something to get our mind off of "So, tell me something about yourself, uncle. How was your relationship with my dad and uncle Drew." He smiles "Oh, you touched a very sensitive topic, kid. Tony and I were best buds. Drew and I... well, we tried to get along, I guess. Drew was always the quiet one. Someone who used to stay away from anything and everything." He winks "A bit of a coward, I say." I chuckle "That does sound like him. One time, Dad took all of us cousins to bungee jump and he got mom and Aunty May to do it as well. Uncle Drew backed out mere seconds before jumping. He was a buzzkill the entire ride home." He crossed his arms against his chest and leaned back with a content smile "How many niece and nephews do I have?"

"Well, there's me. I'm the oldest of the cousins. Then there's Milani, Nancy, and Drew Junior."

"I pity the kid. He named the kid after himself."

"Yeah. He's on the geeky side. Gets picked up by bullies too sometimes."

"Why wouldn't you when your father names you after himself and puts the word 'junior' in front of it like it's going to make everything better."

We laughed but it died down into this silence like we were pulled back to the harsh reality of our lives. Caden asks "Uncle Gabriel, do you think what you have and what Sage has... could this be in your family?" Uncle Gabriel asks "What? Having the sixth sense?" Caden nodded.

Uncle Gabriel pushed his right-hand fingers back in his silky grey hair and I notice for the first time, a turquoise stone silver ring on his pinky finger, and for some reason, I didn't ask him what it was. I kind of knew that it was Jenna's. He answers "I don't know, Caden. I didn't have extended families. My parents were runaways. My father was a very strict man who believed in punctuality and punishments. One wrong move and you'd be outside the house for at least an hour without a sweater. Guess who got the most of it." His smile said it all "and when my sixth sense began working, I didn't have time to figure it out. I was thrown in a cage without an explanation. But Sage, I think he's living proof that it might be in our family. Might be in the firstborns or someone who had deaths near them. I don't know."

He looks up and asks me sternly "When did grandpa die?" I sighed "When I was seven. He died of a heart attack." He nods and asks softly this time "And grandma?"