Chapter 48: Stolen Youth

But I wanna dreamI wanna dreamLeave me to dream

But I wanna dream
I wanna dream
Leave me to dream

SAGE POV

After Crescent helped me with my wounds, Caden was next.

I sat on the floor, right in front of uncle Gabriel as mom stayed as far from me as possible and dad stayed duct-taped on the chair. Uncle Gabriel smiles down at me and I ask "What did you mean by that you went for the murder he committed?" We had everyone's attention on us. He said, "I'm not sure if you're ready for this, Sage." I shake my head "No more secrets. I'm exhausted."

He sighs and begins.

PAST GABRIEL, 18 Y/O

July 1987 is when it all went down the hill.

We had won the season baseball game. Everyone was invited. The popular kids, the stoners, the jocks, the nerds... everyone single one. No matter what year they were in.

I walked inside the huge manor with Tony and Drew with me. Drew was ready to just get drunk but Tony was mostly terrified. Scrawny and short as he wore a maroon sweater and jeans. Thick glasses rested on his nose that made him look like he had frog eyes. I had all the ladies looking up and down at me and I couldn't help myself be cocky and pass them a smile. Drew walked away with other people and I hang my arm around Tony's neck "What's wrong, little brother?" He huffs with anxiety "I can't do it, Gib. I don't know why you dragged me down when I was enjoying my comics at the house." I chuckled "Relax a little, Tony, have fun. Do you really wanna be stuck in the house with dad for the rest of the weekend? You know mom is at her friend's house, playing poker all night. You know what dad likes to do when he's alone and bored. He'll come in your room and ask you about things, try to discipline you, might throw your comics out the door, and maybe even punish you for the rest of the night. Were you willing for that?" He removed my arm from around him and said "At least I'd stay and not be bullied by Gerard Campbell."

"Oh, come on, Tony. He doesn't bully you."

"He makes me drop my books on the floor every day. He sometimes shoves me against the lockers and once, he made me eat a sandwich that he stepped on purpose."

"Yeah, but I helped you pick the books and I didn't let you eat the sandwich."

"I still don't know why you're best friends with him."

"Tony, chill. Have fun. Look, there's Josh." I pointed at his friend but he scowls "You know he's not my friend." I push him in the direction "I saw you two trading comic books yesterday. Go have fun and stay out of trouble. If anything happens, come to me." And I just left him and made my way through the crowd to the kitchen where all the booze was. And between all that booze was Gerard. Laughing and drinking with his friends. It was his party. His parents were cool enough to give him the house entirely for a night. But the alcohol was not their doing at all.