The ̶C̶a̶t̶ Wolf who got the Canary

This is for @gaintslayer I know this dedication is a little late, I'm sorry 😭. Anyway, thank you for voting and reading ❤️

I spun on my heel, my heart racing. The glass I loosely held in my hand dropped from my grasp. It hit the floor, shattering from the impact, water splashing across the floor. The glass shards flew in all directions, one nicking my leg slightly. I barely noticed the pain, my eyes unable to believe what I was seeing.

I was always a very educated person. But recently, my very core beliefs had been shaken. My study of human biology turned out to be false. That all paled in comparison to what I saw in front of me. This, this defied the rules of nature and the cycle of the very universe.

Drops of red intermingled with the spilt water, each one sending a flower of colour blossoming. My eyes travelled up against the fall of blood in disbelief. Stood there, clothes drenched and sticky, the metallic smell assaulting my nose, was him. He casually leaned against a countertop, watching me through hooded eyes. Behind him was a trail of red, staining my floor and the carpet. The slit on his throat was already scabbing over.

"How-", I stuttered. "How are you alive?"

"I've never met somebody happy to be a murderer", he chuckled. "It really does turn me on".

I gaped at his nonchalance. Even if he had somehow survived - which was impossible - he had experienced extreme blood loss. Humans only had on average five litres of blood. With a cut like that from an artery, several litres would have leaked out in just a minute. It was irreversible. A one-way ticket to death's door.

Humans. Does he qualify as one?

He snickered again watching my face.

"I wonder what my little bird is thinking", he said smirking. "Tell me, what's going through that pretty head of yours?"

Does that mean that there was no killing him? He was physically superior to me in every aspect. Humans had two responses; Fight or flight. I couldn't outrun him. And now, fighting back was pointless. He would somehow still be alive.

What if you went for his heart next time?

I mentally scoffed. My element of surprise was gone. He wouldn't let me get that close to him.

"What do you want from me", I asked, proud of my unwavering voice.

"I want you", he stated.

"Why me?"

"You're a very special girl to somebody", he said grinning. "And that makes you very important".

"Are you talking about Malik?" I asked, stalling.

He snarled at Malik's name and advanced forward to me.

"Do not say his name", he spat. "You can only say mine".

I stepped back to increase the distance between us. I knew it was stupid as it would encourage him to come closer anyway. But I couldn't help it. My instincts were overpowered by my otherwise rational thought process.

"I don't even know who you are", I replied angrily. "You really expect me to comply with some stranger willingly?!"

"I did not expect you to come with me willingly", he announced. "I like it when they run". He licked his lips as he took another step to me. It reminded me much of the scenes you would see on nature documentaries where the predator had cornered his prey and was about to pounce.

No matter how brave I tried to portray myself, I was terrified. I was dealing with some sort of self-healing being who could crush me with one finger.