Assumptions

This is for @fruit100ps a literal 👑

In cursive, elegant, writing he wrote:

I can see the burning curiosity behind those intriguing eyes, you thirst to know more. There is one small obstacle in your path, and if you remove it, I will speak freely. Find a way such that we are not overheard.

Was that it? I frantically flipped the page over but there was nothing else. What was I supposed to make of that? Did he seriously expect me to solve a riddle for him?

Holston's was raising red flags now, with what happened to Caleb and Maliks need for secrecy. I read the note over one more time and then filed it in my growing notebook where all my Malik related research was.

I sat back on the sofa, in the dark, absent-mindedly stroking KK. There were cameras in the Viewing Room and microphones. There were guards posted everywhere as well as that annoying woman who was too observant. I only had an hour with him three days a week. Only a fool would think that they could have privacy. One thing that really bugged me was that why he wasn't trusting the institution that was supposed to be helping him which meant he could e forced to be there.

What did he even do in the first place? I could be fraternising with a mass murderer for all I know.

Suddenly, my phone lit up with a text. I picked it up, squinting against the harsh light.

Coming over in 10 minutes, get ready quickly. Bring anything you think we might need. - (L)

Pulling myself up, I got changed into a hoodie to protect my arms from any potential nettles that might be lurking about in the forest. Hunting through my stuff, I packed some spare batteries, a torch, water and food. It was still light outside but I didn't want to risk it. My phone still had a lot of battery left which was a little reassuring. Plus, I had Luka with me so at least I wasn't alone. Just as I zipped up my bag, the doorbell rang.

Luka stood outside, dressed like I was, also carrying a backpack.

"Great minds think alike, huh?" He chuckled.

"Hmm, hurry up, we need to go through my house to get to the garden and then the forest - WAIT, don't move", I yelled.

He froze one foot hovering over my carpet.

"What happened?" He whispered.

"What do you mean, don't you dare walk in my house with shoes. Take them off and put them back on when we get to the garden", I ordered.

He groaned loudly. "You nearly gave me a heart attack for God's sake". He listened anyway, taking his trainers off and trailing behind me as we got to the garden where we both put our trainers on.

"We've still got some time before dark but just in case, do you have a torch with you?"

"Yep, and spare batteries".

He gave me a thumbs up and we both headed towards the forest in silence. It was a great expanse of nature, silent yet beautiful. Beckoning you in closer with its beauty but filling you with a sense of foreboding. As we entered the forest, a noticeable chill settled around us as we trudged on. Little light penetrated through the dense canopy despite the amount of sunlight. Our breaths came out as fog.

"Why doesn't anyone come here?" I asked my voice cutting through the silence.

"Well, it's not easy to access. Only some houses like yours have easy access to get in. There's also been loads of rumours and scary stories. When I was young, my mum used to scare me with stories about a little boy who was dared to go in but never returned. Even as us kids got older, no one goes on here. There's just something ominous about it", he said shuddering.