Last Day

After much deliberation and argument, my family and I settled on a small two-bedroom cottage that didn't need much work done. The cottage also happened to be surrounded on the left and the right by other cottages 'just in case'.

I wasn't too fussed with it though as it was detached and I had quite a bit of private property so none of my future neighbours could see anything. Perks of living in the countryside, I guess.

Work was due to start in around a week or so and I had yet to see my new house as my parents had decorated it as a 'surprise' which caused me a lot of stress and sleepless nights especially as I was a simple plain white walls kind of girl whereas my parents were the over-the-top kind.

Picking up my last box, I crammed it into the boot which was already stuffed to the brim and tried not to wince when I forced the door shut with a slam. I was all set to go. I just needed to say goodbye and grab my pesky cat from whichever corner of the house she bolted to when she saw the cat carrier.

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I walked back inside the house. Mum was stood in front of the cooker, adding the last touches to one of the many curries that she made for me in case 'I starved' even though I was a pretty good cook. I didn't mind too much though as I was also a lazy cook.

Dad on the other hand, well he looked devastated. He looked as though his business had gone bankrupt and as if his whole family had died.

"Dad, please. Don't overreact. What on Earth are you going to do when I get married?"

He looked at me incredulously. "What do you mean 'get married'? That's at least ten years away! With who anyway?!"

"Realistically speaking, I might just end up finding the love of my life pretty soon, and if he wants to propose, who am I to say no," I replied teasingly trying to keep out the humour from my voice.

My mum hummed in agreement. "A nice Indian boy".

I sighed inwardly. Not this again. "Yeah, sure Mum. If you say so".

"Yes, I do say so. Charles help me pack up the last of the curry and rice, Arya, go find that bloody cat of yours. There is no way you're leaving that little demon here for me to deal with".

I laughed and went upstairs in search of her.

After searching through every corner of the house, I finally found her on top of the cupboard in my room. She hissed at me as I grabbed the scruff of her neck and pulled her towards me.

After a few scratches, I managed to get her down. Holding her securely in my arms, I half-ran towards the cat carrier and quickly put her in and zipped the carrier up. She glared at me so I glared back at her refusing to give up eye contact first. My eyes began to water like crazy and I gave up. There was no way I could have won a staring match with Satan.

I placed the carrier in the passenger seat of the car and buckled it in.

Mum had just come out of the house smirking, carrying a small bag of presumably food whilst my dad was struggling behind her with several massive bags.

I opened the back door and with a huff, he dumped the bags in the seat.

"Be careful, you don't want it to spill, you idiot!" Mum exclaimed, swatting him on his back.

My dad rolled his eyes behind my mum's back as she re-arranged the bags neatly in annoyance.

Dad grasped my shoulders tightly. "Be safe, okay? Don't let anyone into your house, no food from strangers etc. Also, call at least once a day at a minimum".