Pain

This is for @Lazymoeba  Thanks for posting my book on your page and all the support you've given ❤

Time was still. We stood there in silence. It felt like a part of me that I never knew was missing had been filled and parts of me yearned for more.

Suddenly, he dropped his hands and stepped back.

"The time is not right", he murmured.

"What was that?" I whispered but he heard it anyway judging by his smug demeanour. I had never felt such a deep connection like this before, with anyone. I was drawn to this man in a way that I hadn't been drawn to any other. Feeling shocked, I stumbled back, removed from the trance I was under. Grabbing my heels from the floor, I snatched the handgun lying in the guard's holster and aimed at Malik. I had used a gun before because my dad insisted but that was a while back and I took what I hoped was the safety off.

"What did you do to him?" I said gesturing to the guard's body.

"Nothing", he smirked. "He was too weak".

"How was he too weak? You didn't even touch him, so how could he just collapse?"

He ignored me in response which only frustrated me further. My mind was spinning. It wasn't possible that someone could collapse randomly. I felt that same strange force weighing down on me - and I was still feeling it- but I was fine. My head started pounding. I had so many questions.

"What did you do to me, why couldn't I move when you... You came close"

"I did nothing", he shrugged. "Everything was already there, set in place. You didn't move, simply because, you didn't want to move".

"You're talking shit right now", my knees slightly shook in fear. "Why would I want to...? Never mind. Stand back and get on your knees".

"Okay", he replied simply.

He moved back and fell to his knees gracefully. Just like that? That was suspiciously too easy.

"Move back, against the wall", I ordered.

He did as I said which put me on edge. He clearly had the upper hand but he was just listening. He must have some sort of plan.

I grabbed the guard's radio and pressed the alarm button set on the side which should bring in reinforcements. I carefully pushed the guard over so he was laying on his back with one hand while the other was holding the gun still aimed at Malik. The guard looked extremely still and pale which worried me. I reached for his wrist to check his pulse when suddenly Malik started to move.

"Stay right there!" I yelled. "Or I will shoot".

"Don't touch him" he snarled.

"Don't tell me what to do, I need to check if he is alive. Stay back!"

"He is alive, you don't need to check".

"How would you know?" I asked incredulously.

"I can hear", he stated.

"It's not possible for you to 'hear' if he is alive", I said, mockingly.

I ignored his sounds of frustration and quickly checked his wrist. Malik was right, he was alive - barely - but how could Malik know?

"How could you tell?" I whispered. "How could you tell he was still alive?"

"I can hear"

"But how could you hear his heartbeat from where you are? That doesn't make sense! What did you do to him in the first place?"