A Willing Suffocation

💞 For @whos_maya  Thank you for reading and voting 💞

I started to walk back. This was the reason why there was no one about it. Why Mikhail hadn't bothered to keep someone outside my door or the front door. He knew I had nowhere to go even if I tried. This was all just a game. I was wrong earlier. Braving the outside for a chance of survival in this weather wasn't the lesser of the two evils. It was the greater evil.

The house grew larger as I got closer and a spark of happiness erupted in my chest. I cursed my selfish human body. The desire for an easy life was an instinct I could not ignore. I couldn't risk escaping if I were to die. This was a less painful option even if I had to walk shamefully back to the house.

I walked to the door and twisted the cold doorknob.

Click.

I twisted it again.

Click.

It was locked. Of course, it was. Was this all a trap? Pieces of ice hit my body without any remorse. My face stung. My fingers ached. My toes felt lifeless and cold. I had to get inside and warmed up before it was too late.

"You're a lot less foolish then I thought you would be". I turned in surprise to see Mikhail standing there with an unreadable expression. The rain drenched his clothes too, but the cold seemed not to affect him. "It would take a lot of courage to walk back".

I stared at him, my face void of any expression.

"My desire for survival far surpasses my loathing for you".

"I had assumed as much. You are a very intelligent woman. It is a shame".

"A shame that I am involved with Malik? I agree".

His eyes seemed to be unguarded for the first time since I met him. Gone was the cocky sadistic persona. Instead was a... person. A vulnerable one. The rain made his hair stick down to his head and the side of his face. His face was pale too making him look almost pitiful.

"It was never my intention. To go this far. I hope you understand that".

"So why have you?"

"Because he can't have everything. For once, I want everything. Everything that he has. The world is laid out at his feet. But there is only one that matters more than the world. And that is his mate. But I have you. So he will never have everything. And if he somehow manages to steal the world away from me again, he can never have you. And that is the one thing he would want the most". He threw his head back and laughed deeply. Rain trickled down his face, leisurely disappearing down his chiselled chest. His body shook but the shirt stuck to him, turning almost transparent as his body arched backwards and his head tipped back.

Pellets of ice hit his body but he didn't seem to care. The ice left small bruises decorating his skin but he didn't seem to be bothered. He stopped laughing, his voice dying down slowly. He looked at me, his eyes red. Water dripped down his face gently.

That was not rain dripping down his face. It was a tear. More followed, each hot tear mingling with the cold rain as he poured his grievances and sorrows out whilst I watched on in a mixture of detached fascination and concern.

"This is the only way", he whispered.

"No, it's not". I watched him carefully. There was something wrong with him. Some sort of mental illness. "The way he hurt you, you are hurting me".

"I want to care. I want to feel bad. I want to feel something, anything. But I don't. This need for revenge, I can't control it. I need to see him suffer. I have hurt more people. Every day I hurt people. I make people cry. I want to stop. But I can't stop".