8

Monday morning came around quicker than expected. Lydia wasn't ready for the day. She had another long night just like Saturday night. The girl had been trying to stop herself from crying over her dad, but once she had nothing but her thoughts in her dark room, bad things were the only things she could ever think of.

The girl didn't like being negative, but she missed her dad and she didn't understand why it was so easy for him to leave the family. She understood that her parents didn't get along but he could have at least called.

The girl could only wonder if he was happier. But she wouldn't admit to herself that he was happier. She didn't like the feeling of being replaced. It hurt her more than anything.

Even thought it was only the morning, she left like it had been a long day already.

As she brushed her teeth she heard a knock all the way at the front door. She rolled her eyes as she spat the toothpaste out and sat the toothbrush onto the counter top carefully. She was sort of a morning person, but not today.

Lydia then walked downstairs and opened the door slightly, peaking through to see Riley and Justin.

"This is new..." Lydia said confused as she opened the door wider for them, she usually walked to school by herself so seeing them made things weird. "Well we decided to come pick you up." Riley said and Lydia nodded slowly. "I can see that." Lydia stated the obvious, Justin only laughed. "Why aren't you ready yet?" He asked and she looked at him in disbelief. "Umm, oh-because maybe I wasn't expecting you guys?" Lydia eyebrows were furrowed as she slightly glared at them. "I get that, but it's nearly eight." He said. "I don't show up to school early. Who wants to sit there all day until it starts? You see, there's a difference between having someone there with you or just sitting there all alone. You guys have each other to wait with..." Lydia rambled as she walked up the stairs and they followed after her.

They smiled as they entered Lydia's room and plopped on her bed. They missed the comfort of her comfortable bed. Lydia rolled her eyes playfully at them as she walked back to her bathroom.

She begin to brush her teeth again when Riley's voice was soon heard.

"Lydia!" Riley called out as if she was whining. "What?" Lydia groaned, she had just started to brush her teeth and Riley was already starting to slow her down. "Hurry because I promised Jolie that I'd help her with practice." Riley said and Lydia furrowed her eyebrows.

Practice? At 8am.

Lydia rolled her eyes at the thought. "Okay, maybe if you stop interrupting my morning I'd move faster." Lydia said as she put warm water through her hair, her curls begging to make perfect little curls once again. Her toothbrush was now in the corner of her mouth as she grabbed some leave in conditioner and started to rake that through her curls to make them more defined. She was finally going to let her hair down for the day. It was almost always in a ponytail but she didn't feel like having a headache at how tight it was so she decided on leaving it out today.

After doing a minimum task for her hair, she continued to brush her teeth and tongue. Once she was done, she walked out of her bathroom her two best friends looked at her with wide eyes.

"What?" She asked, confused to why they were shocked. "Your hair! It got so long and curly! Lyds, this is a big deal you haven't wore your hair down since we were in 6th grade!" Riley said and Lydia's eyes widened. Riley was the friend who cared about changing up her looks almost every week. Whereas Lydia was to stubborn and lazy for change so she stuck to what she did best. Ponytails.

"It's been that long?" Lydia asked, now being shocked. "Yes?" Justin wasn't exactly sure, he just hated being left out. But his gaze never left her. She couldn't tell what he was doing, but it looked like he was in deep though. Her heart began to beat quickly, she wasn't used to him starring at her. It was usually the other way around.

"You two are overreacting. I wore my hair down for like half of the summer." She shrugged as she went over to her closet.

Riley and Justin only looked at each other with squinted eyes. Trying to remember if that was true.

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

"I like what you did with your hair." Alex spoke, the other boys were running late this morning while Alex was the only one early, he explained how he didn't get picked up by Reggie today. The bell was close to ringing, though this was still early for Lydia. She usually arrived once the bell rang.

"Thanks, I didn't think this was such a big deal. But my Justin and Riley freaked out once they saw me, they said I haven't had my hair down like this since 6th grade. They were totally over exaggerating things." Lydia explained with a laugh. Alex smiled. "I love it like this. You look a lot less tense, more calm." Alex noted. Lydia couldn't help but smile.

"Don't tell the boys, but you're my favorite." Lydia admitted and Alex eyes widened. Lydia had felt the most comforted by Alex so far. It was just something about him.

"Holy shit-I'm honored that-" Alex was cut off by Reggie's voice. "What's up guys!?" Reggie asked happily, as always. The two quickly turned around to see Luke and Bobby standing a little far behind Reggie, smiling just as widely.

"What's going on? You guys have that look on your face." Alex noticed and Luke stepped in front of Reggie to explain what was going on. "We talked to the principal. We're able to play at the spring dance, I love you hair by the way Lydia. It looks amazing." Luke explained, then complimented the girl.

There they are, those stupid flutters.

Maybe I should keep my hair done, this is the third time today!

"Thank you, Luke." The girl smiled, it was all she could say. "What! That's amazing, we definitely have to practice more now!" Alex said and Luke nodded. "I've been telling you guys that if we just practice it's gonna be worth it." Luke said and Reggie nodded. "How 'bout we practice right after school. So everyone needs to play it safe. No getting detention." Bobby spoke, Lydia wanted to laugh at how Bobby sounded like such a dad.

And with the remaining time, they all talked until the bell rang. Lydia was starting to fit in just perfectly, she was comfortable and was actually talking with them too. Usually she would sit and listen, but now she was in on the conversation which made the boys happy too. She didn't know it, but the enjoyed her company just as much as she enjoyed theirs.

edited