[ C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R ]

It had been an average day, I had shown Techno how to make pizza for lunch, and he was fascinated at the fact that it's just so easy.

We were bored during the day, neither of us were gonna stream so we didn't have much to do.

Me being me, boredom eventually brought me back to the kitchen. I wasn't particularly hungry so I ended up digging around for something to bake.

Eventually I came across the angel food cake. We had strawberries and whipped cream so a strawberry shortcake would be perfect. I pulled out a cake pan and preheated the oven, and Techno looked up from his phone in the next room over.

He was as bored as I was, so he ran his fingers through his hair and asked what I was up to. "Strawberry shortcake!" I responded with a smile, tying the apron around my waist. "Never had one, are they any good?" I audibly gasped, and practically dragged him into the kitchen with me.

The cooking space wasn't very big, just enough room for the two of us if we didn't mind our bodies brushing against each other every once in a while.

As I whisked together the batter, I instructed him to line the bottoms of the pans with parchment. It wasn't gonna be a big cake, enough for us to have one or maybe two slices each.

He carefully poured the batter into the pans, and slid them into the oven. Between baking and cooling, we would have about an hour to kill so I pulled out my giant decorating kit from under the counter. This was one of the only things I had brought from the kitchen when leaving Maggie, it was my baby.

I pulled out a few piping tips from the top compartment, and slid them into bags. I put a bit of the whipped cream into each bag, and demonstrated how to pipe on a practice pad..

He nervously gave it a try, but immediately used too much pressure and sprayed it everywhere. I let out a snicker at his surprised face, and nestled myself so I was in between his arms, guiding his hands with gentle pressure, and making beautiful designs on the practice pad. 

Eventually, he got the hang of it, and though his lines were still a bit shaky, star-tip dollops were his best work.

He lifted his arms, I shuffled out from in between him and the counter and went to the oven to check on the cakes. They were perfect, soft and spongy but not too crumbly or browned. Once they were fully cooled, I gently released them from the pan and cut them into layers as techno watched, and he even cut the last one. 

As he tried to pick it up and move the sliced cake, one of the layers broke in half. "Oh! Uh, sorry... maybe you should do this part?" I started to move the layers with caution. "Angel food is really delicate, but after some practice it's a beautiful cake."

I made Techno do all the piping, his hands were a bit shaky, so once again I moved in front of him and held his hands in mine.

He was wearing a soft sweater, and it was cozy against my back as we worked together on the cake.

As I cut up the strawberries, I had to swat his hands away. By the time I was done cutting them, he had eaten a quarter of them at least. I looked up at his sheepish face, and shook my head. My smile betrayed my grumpy facade though, it hadn't left my face since we started.