[ C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-E I G H T ]

I was right, today was a slow day.

I spent most of it avoiding all and any interaction with the rest of the group, and I guess they passed it off as aftershock from the Maggie incident yesterday. The dream had almost blocked it all out by then, the ice cream shop encounter was the least of my worries.

I ended up outside in the late morning, I had a sweater on but the cold still nipped at my fingers as I sat in the grass. I thought and thought and thought, trying to find a reason to continue with my selfishness. No matter how much I wanted it to be, there just wasn't a way that I could rationalize dragging all the people I loved so dearly down with me. 

I jumped up from the grass I was sat in as a twig crunched behind me. Oh, just Wilbur. He balanced two mugs and a plate of sandwiches in his hands and I gratefully accepted the tea before sitting back down. Wilbur took a sip of what I assumed was coffee before looking back up at me. "You haven't eaten today." He spoke bluntly, I tried to search for just a hint of emotion in his voice but came up empty. I just took a bite of sandwich in response, feeling guilty that he had to look out for me so much.

As we ate in silence, I became drowsy again. This is usually when I would prop myself up on him but I stayed upright while I continued to nibble away at the sandwich. He was on his phone scrolling through something or another, and though all I wanted was to sit with him and waste the day away, the word selfish kept eating away at me so I instead stood and headed inside to edit another video.

I was working on the cooking stream, Wil had claimed it as his so I was planning to edit it for him. Watching them all casually glance over to where I was sat with pity on their faces was sickening. I wanted to be upset with them, blame everything on what they were doing, but I knew it was all on me. I knew I was in the wrong, and I was selfish.

I wished I could leave and that they would all forget about me, I wished I could just run away.

Wait... why couldn't I?

I'm an adult with a credit card and more than a few dollars in my bank account. I could re-book my plane to one day earlier, rush back to the house and pack up anything I would miss. Just the thought of packing up my half of the bookshelf and all my clothes that made me feel pretty, boxing up memories like they were worthless and throwing them into the back of my beat-up old car made me sick to my stomach. I was done with editing for the day, I could finish the rest later. (maybe.)

I was in my room where nobody would find me, and I looked for plane tickets with blurry vision through the tears that were springing up. I was comparing my life to a book earlier, but usually there was at least someone else to build up the walls in between the main character and her love. This time, I had to build the wall all alone, brick by brick.

It wasn't fair, and I shut my laptop as the tears began to flow and I choked back sobs. I hid myself under the covers in an attempt to muffle the sound, and it worked well enough that nobody came in to check up on me.

This wasn't productive. You're a smart girl now stop being selfish and open that laptop back on up.

I scrolled through the flights until I found one for three hours from now, this was among the most spontaneous things I have ever done. I hoped clicking the 'book now' button would lift weight off my shoulders, but it just made them heavier. I pre-booked an uber for an hour from now, and packed everything I couldn't bear to leave behind into a small backpack to avoid suspicion.

The now-full bag sat on my desk taunting me, daring me to pick it up and leave early.

I heard a knock on my door, and scrambled to wipe the tears from my face. "Hello?" I composed my voice fairly well, it didn't even break. Tommy opened the doors, an excited smile on his face. "Come downstairs, we are bored so you're gonna open your gifts." I instantly grew curious, what would any of them think to get me?

I emerged into the den area to find a stack of presents ranging from neatly wrapped to what looked like toddler's work. I giggled a bit at the feeble attempt to wrap, but sat down right as Tommy insisted I open his present first.

It was the worst wrapped of them all, but I could tell he had really tried. The first thing he had gotten was a wii game, it looked really stupid but I promised to play it with him.

you know you won't, you won't even be here long enough to say goodbye.

I smiled warmly as I pretended that nagging voice wasn't there, and instead marvelled at the delicate little wooden pocket watch that was snuggled into the bottom of the box, intricately carved with little designs and patterns. "Thank you..." I breathed the words out, I was so undeserving of such a nice and obviously meaningful gift. I gave the boy a tight hug, knowing it might be the last one I get from him.

Tubbo was next, he had gotten me a few plush toys and even tried to embroider a hat. It was shaky but a great effort, that kind of stuff is really difficult. Phil got me a few kitchen things along with a set of markers for my art, and Wil surprised me with a gorgeous knit sweater and matching beanie.

Techno's present was last, and as I unfolded the suprisingly neatly wrapped box, I couldn't help but smile at what was inside.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"𝙹𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚘𝚏 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚜, 𝚖𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚗𝚘𝚗𝚎, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚏𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚒𝚗 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚘𝚗𝚎."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚

𝟙𝟘𝟝𝟞 𝕎𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕤

𝟘𝟚/𝟘𝟚/𝟚𝟘𝟚𝟙

ℙ𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕖 𝕍𝕠𝕥𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 ℂ𝕠𝕞𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥, 𝕃𝕖𝕥 𝕞𝕖 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕚𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕛𝕠𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕨𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕀 𝕞𝕒𝕜𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕒𝕝𝕜 𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕖 𝕡𝕝𝕫!! ;-;