Thirty

Even with the goosebumps on my skin and the slight tremor in my chin, I would swear that I can still feel the tingles that Austin's gaze  left on my skin. Still feel the way my body had reacted to his heated glance.

I've been trying to tell myself that I am crazy, that there is no way one look could still be felt nearly two hours later, but it's no use. My mind and my body aren't on the same page, let alone the same book when it comes to Austin.

The last few days I have wanted nothing more than to march up to him and ask what his problem is. Why he was going through so much hassle to ignore me since the night at the hallway.

That night something shifted between us, at least for me. We didn't fight or yell... well that's not true, we did, but it was different. It was honest and frankly, it makes me mad that he'd been ignoring me at all, only to show up and looks at me like that.

Like I was the first glimpse of dawn after eternal darkness.

Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration, but still, my point is valid and before I can chicken out, I move away from the warmth of the torch in search of the man in question. I deserve, at the very least, to know why the heck he flipped from hot to cold so quickly.

Austin is standing in a small group talking with Axe and a few other people that I've seen around but can't remember their names. Axe's eyes meet mine and he smiles as I approach, probably not seeing the determined look on my face.

"Come for another dance?" at his words, Everyone including Austin turns to look at me.

I had completely underestimated what I had planned. I knew that just seeing him across the field had made me feel some type of way but I had no idea that throwing other senses, like smell, into the mix would wreak havoc on me.

How can one person smell so freaking good?!

"Actually," I say, clearing my throat and trying not to fidget under Austin's heated gaze, "I was wondering if Austin wanted to dance?"

I had meant to make it a statement but it sounded like a clear question. I roll my lips into my mouth wondering how stupid I must look. Maybe if I look confident they won't realize that I'm internally cringing.

Oh no, what do I do if he says no? Do I play nonchalant like it doesn't bother me?  

"He's not as good a dancer as I am," Axe smiles, patting Austin on the shoulder with a knowing look before practically pushing him at me, "but I suppose I can share him, but only cuz I like you," he shoots me a wink with a laugh. Austin cracks a half-smile at Axe but doesn't say anything as he gestures towards the dance floor.

I can't hear the music of the rushing of blood through my ears, but judging by the other couples on the dance floor, it's a slow song. He doesn't hesitate, setting his hand on my waist and pulling me towards him until I'm nearly flush against his body.

The heat from his skin seeping through to me making me forget how cold I am and when his eyes meet mine, my heart forgets how to beat in a rhythm. I'm breathing him in, lost in his eyes, completely intoxicated and left realizing that he isn't treating me like a porcelain doll. It seems like the whole party disappeared, I can't even hear the music anymore. the only sound I hear is our breaths mixing between us mixing with the tempo of my heart. 

"I'm surprised you didn't say no," I say quietly, my eyes dropping to stare at a button on his shirt.

"How could I say no to a human who marches up to a group of wolves demanding a dance," his tone is light, but I can feel rather than hear caution behind his words.