Forty-six

Slowly, my senses start to return to me. My nose scrunches slightly at the smell of antiseptic cleaners that cling to the air.

I groan as I stretch, the movement causing a pull on the IV and I flinch at the feeling. Before I can even open my eyes, someone is at my side, holding my hand.

"It's okay, Mia," Emily's voice is soft and soothing as I feel her moving some hair out of my face, "You're safe, I promise you're safe,"

"Should I go get them" I open my eyes, squinting to see who else is here but all I can see is Emily nodding above me.

Her gaze moves back down to me, a soft smile on her face as she repeats that I'm safe over and over again. I blink slowly, my mind feeling a little sluggish as I try to sit up.

"Woah, slowly, Mia," she wraps her arm gently around me, helping pull me up to a sitting position.

"What happened?" I groan as Emily keeps trying to arrange my pillows, but the more she moves them the more they become uncomfortable.

I grab her arm, stopping her from continuing what she's doing. Her shoulders drop and she looks at me like a wounded animal.

"You had a panic attack," she says slowly, patting my arm before her eyes slide to the door and back, "The doctor had to sedate you because you were hyperventilating so badly,"

I can feel the color drain from my face as the memory resurfaces. The council was going to talk to the Lotus Alpha. My heart thudded against my ribs. One of them survived!

But which one did and why would they need his side of the story!? I may not remember any specifics but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they almost killed me!

"But you're okay! You're safe!" something in my face must have given away my thoughts because she rushed the words out, "They're gone, they're dead. You're safe, it's okay,"

She motions for me to follow her breathing, repeating the same phrase over and over again as if it were a mantra she has practiced her entire life.

"The Alpha?" I squeak, eyes wide as I try to match my breathing to hers, my thoughts going round and round like a carousel that doesn't make sense.

"It's just a formality until things get settled," I watch her wearily knowing deep down that even though she makes it sound so simple, there has to be more to it. Nothing with these wolves is ever so simple.

"I should warn you though," My eyes snap to hers, and my stomach drops, but Emily just gives me a small smile, "Harper is pretty upset about you leaving the way you did,"

As if she was called, Harper walks into the room. Her shoulders instantly sag in relief as she gives me a once-over.

"You're lucky you're hurt or else I would kill you," Harper gasps, covering her mouth with her hands and shaking her head, "I didn't mean that! I'm sorry! I'm just so relieved that you're okay. I was so mad that you had just disappeared without a word and then when I saw you unconscious on the ground..."

She trails off, her eyes starting to water as she shakes her head like it will get rid of a memory. The deja-vu feeling is back, but I still get nothing more than that feeling of familiarity.

"I thought we were too late," she sniffs sadly and without thinking, I open my arms to her.

She moves so slowly and I can see her surveying my injuries, looking for a path to hug me that will cause me the least amount of pain. As soon as she's in my reach, though, I pull her to me, ignoring the shock of pain.

"I'm okay," I don't know how I survived, but somehow I did and that's all that matters anymore, "You're here with me now,"

"Of course we are, you're our human," she mumbles, causing me and Emily to laugh.