Six

Maybe I am overreacting, crying over pictures that were left behind, but I can't help it. There's an ache in my chest where my mom is concerned and I think anyone who has lost a parent can understand that. The more I think about my mother, the more I question if I'm remembering her hair color the right shade of blonde. Were her eyes light blue like the sky or more dark like the ocean?

My tears have quieted in our walk, but not completely stopped. I had hoped that Caspian would change his mind and take me back, despite the risks. But deep down I knew he wouldn't and, as much as I hated it, I understood. That car was stolen, driving it now on the highway would be like a red flag around bulls.

I haven't said a word to him and I am purposefully trying to frustrate him. I can tell that I am causing Caspian to walk at a much slower pace than he is used too and I am secretly wishing that he steps on a sharp stick or something since he is still walking barefoot.

It's frustrating to me that the rocky ground doesn't seem to faze him at all.

"See that line of trees up ahead?" Caspian's voice breaks the silence of the woods around us, his eyes lighting up as he looks ahead.

Caspian reaches for my hand, pulling me gently into his side. His arm wraps around my shoulder as I squint, trying to see what lays beyond the trees. I had been trying to imagine it, a wolf pack, but all I kept coming up with is a large cave with wolves lounging around.

Now all I see are trees, trees, and surprisingly, more trees surrounding us.

"That's the border line for the Lotus pack," pride radiates off him and I can tell he is waiting for my reaction.

I'm not sure how to react, I mean all I still see is a line of trees. Even if I did see the town, the pack, there is something uneasy swirling in my stomach. I pull myself from his arm, running my hand through my hair, cringing when my fingers get caught in a small knot.

"What if they don't like me, you know, because I'm human?" wow, that feels silly to say out loud, especially to Caspian, but I need to get it out.

It's a valid fear, I tell myself. I mean it's probably not a far leap to assume that these wolf people are far superior to a mere human. Take Caspian for example. Just looking at him is hypnotizing and his body is... well that's off-topic. Plus, we've been walking for I don't even know how long, and he's not even winded.

Whereas I feel like my heart is pounding against my chest and that my legs are going to give out on me any second. Not to mention I probably look all gross considering that's how I feel.

"Mia," Caspian's fingers skim along my cheek and I have to hide my cringe hoping I'm not nearly as sweaty as I feel, "They will love you. Besides, all Luna's are human," his hands move down my arm to link his fingers with mine.

My eyebrows squint together at his words. I should find it reassuring that all humans are Luna's, but it raises a few more questions about this whole thing.

"Why would all Luna's be human?"  I ask carefully, wondering what exactly it is that I'm getting myself into.

"That's another question for later," he says and I nod slowly in acknowledgment. It seems like it's always later. Later he will tell me. Later we will talk about it. But when does later come?

He's just in a hurry to get home, I remind myself. Once everything settles, then it will be a good time to talk.

"Come on, We don't want to be late," He smiles a megawatt smile as he starts to pull me towards the tree line, but I put up some resistance.

I know he's excited to be so close and frankly, I'm ready to be there as well but I'm tired and we've been walking for a while. I just want to rest for a few minutes.