Nineteen

A shower is exactly what I needed - especially this shower to try and relax. A waterfall shower head surrounded by gorgeous teal tiles and a glass door. It's simple and luxurious like being a spa. Even the bottles of shampoo and conditioner that are in here, smell amazing and make it even more relaxing. I could probably stay in this shower for hours, maybe even days if the hot water holds, but I don't want to be rude.

 Emily and Harper got some clothes for me to change into -  simple jeans and a baby blue shirt. It has a palm tree on it advertising some hotel in California, but it's better than a white dress. I push the white fabric into a small trash can, glad I won't have to see that anymore. I stare at the red cloak for a minute before deciding that I should keep it on, at least for now.

Emily and Harper are lounging in the bedroom, talking in hushed whispers that stop the minute I open the bathroom door.

"Hey, how was the shower?" Harper asks, standing from where she was sitting on the bed.

The dark blue comforter is crinkled from the weight, but otherwise perfectly made. A flat-screen TV is hung on the wall across from the bed, surrounded by simple framed paintings of wolves and sunflowers. 

"Amazing, thank you. You've decorated beautifully," I say, finger combing my hair to try and avoid large knots from forming.

"You should have seen the place before I moved in with Jaxon," Harper smiles, moving past me back into the bathroom and returns with a comb that she offers me as well as a pack of hair ties, "I swear, he only knew how to work with one color, black,"

Emily snorts out a laugh earning her a small glare from Harper. I don't sense any animosity in the action but it does make me question the relationships. Emily is Jaxon's cousin and Harper was sitting on his lap, which is more than what family members would do.

"So you and Jaxon are," I trail off, running the comb through my hair. Harper blushes, her cheeks tinting the slightest pink as she looks to her feet.

"They're together, and yes they're one of those couples," Emily answers, holding her hand out for the comb, "I can french braid it for you if you'd like?"

I've never really been one to let someone play with or style my hair, but I've always loved it when my hair is in braids. I hand her the comb, once I've made sure to get most of the knots out, holding the hair ties until she needs them.

"What do you mean those couples?" Harper snaps, crossing her arms over her chest before looking at me, "She's just jealous that -"

"Jealous?!" I wince when Emily pulls a little too rough on my hair as she twists and weaves it into its braid, "I'm not jealous, I'm sick of watching the two of you make goo-goo eyes at each other from across the room. and don't even get me started when you're standing next to each other," She fake gags as she reaches for the hair tie in my hand.

"Word of advice, Mia, make sure their hands are always within sight when you're arou-"

"That was one time, Emily, and you should have knocked!" Harper gasps in horror, pointing an accusing finger in our direction.

I can't help but laugh at the two of them. Their relationship seems so easy, so flawless that I'm a little jealous if I'm being honest. I considered myself friends with Justice and the other wait staff, but I can't remember such easy banter between us.

We talked about our day and compared customers, sure but at the end of the day I think it was work that kept us as friends. I can't say that we would joke and tease like Harper and Emily are doing. Then again, I guess these two can be considered family. I mean Jaxon is in a relationship with Harper and he's also Emily's cousin.