one

There she was, crossing Wickery Bridge and passing the Welcome to Mystic Falls sign. She was in Mystic Falls. Kayleigh was home.

It felt surreal to her. Only three years ago had her parents moved her from the small town in Virginia, yet it felt like a life time.

Nothing had changed much, Mystic Grill still stood tall, she and her friends used to go there regularly. Kayleigh wondered if they still went there. She wondered if they would remember her despite the crazy lives they no doubt lead.

Kayleigh knew about everything. About vampires and witches and werewolves. Her parents agreed to let her return to Mystic Falls to live with her aunt Meredith, but not before they gave her boxes of journals and strange objects. After reading the journals, Kayleigh's parents further explained the council and what they stood for.

Truth be told, Kayleigh wasn't as afraid as she probably should be of the threat that comes with returning to Mystic Falls. She knew that vampires weren't born like that, they were people, who had the misfortune of cheating death, and as punishment craved the blood of other humans.

It's not like she would ever meet anyone supernatural, her parents assured her that all vampires cleared out of Mystic Falls long ago, the witches were burned, and the wolves, well, they were hunted to their ends by the vampires. And the vampires burned in a church.

She would be safe.

-

The Mystic Grill was just as she left it. The bricks wore a little more than they used to, but everything else was the same. Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the door, not knowing who she might see that used to be her friend, it anyone.

"Kayleigh?"

She searched for that familiar voice of whom she missed dearly. Finally, she found her, "Elena!"

Kayleigh ran to her former best friend and wrapped her arms tightly around Elena, who did the same in return.

"I didn't know you were coming back. Why didn't you tell me?" Elena asked looking at her friend.

"I wanted to surprise you!"

Kayleigh and Elena has stayed connected through the years she was gone. Elena would often send her updates on Mystic Falls as well as her very complicated love life.

"Do you want to sit? Caroline and Bonnie are coming soon" Elena said, finally letting go of Kayleigh.

"I would, but I have to go to Merediths. I just came to get some food, I'm exhausted from the drive".

"Okay, another day?"

"Tomorrow, I'm all yours!" The two girls embraces one last time before Kayleigh got her food and went to her aunts house.

The estate had been in the family for many years, it was large, almost as large as the Lockwood mansion, but not quite.

Kayleigh grew up there, but when she walked through the front door it wasn't the same as when she left it. It has been remodeled.

The kitchen was now white, and a large island sat in the middle. There were two living rooms, which Kayleigh thought seemed unpractical. The formal living room sat closer to the main entrance, it had a beautiful couch and a large fire place, as well as elegant arm chairs that were facing each other. The other living room had a tv, and it felt slightly more homey. The couch had blankets and candles were lit on the nightstand. The staircase was to the left of a modern, yet beautiful, chandelier that sat dangling from the high ceiling.

Kayleigh wondered up the staircase, suitcases in hand, as she reached the room that once belonged to her. It too was different.

The walls were a light gray, rather than the turquoise she begged her parents for. A queen sized bed lay in the center of the room, with an elegant headboard and white bedding. A nightstand stood on either side. A clean, white desk was in the corner of the room, it looked untouched. The room seemed bigger than when she left, of course now it wasn't cluttered with One Direction and the Jonas Brothers posters. Kayleigh found her way to the closet, pulling open the handle. Her walk in was empty until she dragged her suitcases inside, deciding to deal with them later.

Although her room had changed, so did she. She didn't mind the new look of her room, it felt like a fresh start. She had a fresh start for senior year.
She was ready.