seventeen

Jake and Klaus were in a full brawl in the alleyway by the Grill. Kayleigh sat on the ground against the wall trying to catch her breath.

She knew Klaus. She hated Klaus. He was evil. But here was, protecting her.

Mustering all her strength, she stood up, using the wall to balance herself after almost falling back down.

"Klaus." She said. He took a break from pummeling Jake to look over at her. His eyes went soft, looking at the girl he was so fond of, yet hadn't seen in weeks. The name however, made him slightly sad, he longed to hear 'Nik' come out of her mouth.

"Kay," He almost whispered. That name made Kayleigh feel something, from deep inside of her heart. It was a good feeling, something she wanted to feel more of. No name Jake had ever called her made her feel like this.

Kayleighs mouth parted slightly as Klaus took long strides towards the wall she leaned against. The human gasped as she saw Jake stand up and plunged towards Klaus. He turned around, but before he had time to react, the younger vampire had impaled him with a sort of metal dagger. It didn't take him out, but it did bring him to his knees.

Jake grabbed Kayleigh's hand and pulled her out of the ally, "Come on, he won't stay down for long". Kayleigh tried tried to pull away, but to no avail. She locked eyes with Klaus, eyes focused on him, until she was pulled completely out of his view and left with Jake.

**

Back at the hotel Kayleigh showered off her makeup, and tried to clean away the memories of that night, but she couldn't shake the thought of Klaus. The man who single-handedly took up all the hatred in her body, yet made her heart flutter in a way it hadn't in weeks.

Signing, she walked out of the bathroom and dried her hair with a towel. Jake sat on the bed looking through a men's magazine.

"Jake," Kayleigh said, grabbing his attention. He reluctantly pulled his eyes away from the photo from the half naked women to look at her, "Can I please see my friends. I haven't been able to really hangout with them in two weeks."

The vampire sighed, "Fine, but when you go, you need to do something for me."

"Anything."

"I need you to siphon magic from Damon, all of it. We have a big day tomorrow."

Kayleigh's eyebrows pulled together, "But, but that'll hurt him."

Jake's cold hand brushed one of Kayleigh's wet waves behind her ear, "I know." He walked back to the bed and reopened his magazine. Kayleigh turned to walk out, but stopped when she heard James voice. "Oh, and put on some makeup before you go. You look better with it."

Kayleigh arrived to the Salvatore mansion where her group of friends were having a little after party from the actual founders party.

"Hey guys!" She said opening the door. Her friends all look surprised to see her, but they were happy she was there.

"Leigh!" Caroline said running up to her friend, "We didn't think Jake would let you out."

Kayleigh chuckled as she sat down on one of the couches, "Why wouldn't he?"  The group exchanged looks, but decided to let the topic go.

Kayleigh and her friends spent the rest of the night hanging out like they used to. They sat around the table, a bottle of bourbon in the center, and played their favorite game: truth or drink.

"Damon!" Caroline shrieked at his grotesque answer to a question.

"What?" He asked, "Bonnie asked the question."