twelve

Back in Mystic Falls, Kayleigh filled her friends in on the details of the trip, minus her little makeout session with Klaus. Things seemed surprisingly normal with Klaus. The drive back to Mystic Falls from Kansas was surprisingly pleasant. They spent the time playing random road games and getting to know each other even more. 

Meredith was extremely sympathetic when Kayleigh had told her how her mother acted. It took everything in the doctor not to drive to Kansas and smack the living daylight out of her brothers wife. She loved Kayleigh regardless of what supernatural being she was, she even went as far as to offer to legally adopt Kayleigh. It wasn't necessary however, since Kayleigh would be eighteen in only a few days. 

Bonnie had gotten Alaric to start drinking an herb tea, to suppress his serial killer alter ego. It seemed to be working. Things in Mystic Falls seemed good, the town was quiet, almost to calm. Everyone knows that before a storm, it's calm, and they all knew it was just a matter of time before a new storm hit. 

But, as of right now, the only thing on everyone's minds was Kayleigh's eighteenth birthday. It gave the group a sense a normalcy, to plan a birthday party like normal teens would do. But of course, they weren't normal. Most of them had the gift of compulsion to ensure that this party would be the best they've ever had. 

Klaus bringing Kayleigh home alive earned him a few brownie points from the scooby doo gang, not enough for them to trust him, but enough to allow him help plan Kayleigh's eighteenth birthday surprise.  As far as she knew, she would be having a quaint get together with her closest friends, maybe ten people at most. 

As her birthday grew nearer, Kayleigh spent most of her days alone. Not that she minded being alone, she just hoped that after being away for a few days and her birthday just around the corner, her friends would want to spend more time with her. Even Klaus was dodgy. They had lunch once after they returned to Mystic Falls, but no more kisses, and barely even any texts were exchanged. 

As Kayleigh's birthday rolled around she began getting ready early in the day for the small gathering at the Salvatores. Despite only a few people were going, Kayleigh and Caroline decided everyone needed to dress up. Partly because it was a special occasion, and partly because they liked the sights of the Salvatore boys in suits. 

A loud knock on her front door made her jump slightly, accidentally burning her hand in the process. She set the hot tool down and walked down the stairs to the door. Kayleigh couldn't see anyone through the peephole, so she opened the door to peer outside. The front porch was vacant of anyone, the only thing there was a large silver box. 

Hoping it wasn't a bomb in disguise, which is more likely than one would think in the small town of Mystic Falls, she picked up the package and ran to her room. Sitting on the folded tissue paper of the now open box, was a black lacy eye mask, and a letter. Kayleigh picked up the mask first, it looked like one she would envision someone at a masquerade ball wearing, oh how she's always wanted to attend one. Next, she picked up the letter and opened it carefully. The handwriting was exquisite.

May all your dreams come true. 

                                                       yours,

                                                                   K.M.

K.M., Klaus Mikaelson. Kayleigh smiled to herself and set the letter next to the mask on her bedside table. Finally, she carefully peeled back the silver tissue paper to reveal a red, silky fabric. 

After finishing her hair and makeup, she slipped on the dress that Klaus had purchased for her. Smiling at the letter once more, and grabbing the mask, just because she thought it would make her look like a badass, Kayleigh walked out of her house and into the car where Caroline, Elena, and Bonnie all waited for her.