seven

I rung the doorbell multiple times, but no one answered. Maybe Esther succeeded, maybe they were really dead. I don't want them to be dead.

Right as I went to ring the doorbell, for probably the twentieth time, the large door was swung open.

"Kayleigh, I didn't expect to see you." Klaus said smiling, as he opened the door wider.

I walked past him and into the house, "Just so you know, I'm not ok with how you treated me," I said crossing my arms, he raised an eyebrow at me, "But I needed you to know that I didn't know they were planning on doing anything."

"And why would I believe you? You distracted me so the less attractive set of brothers could put a dagger through mine."

"I'm not a liar, Klaus. I didn't know. You can compel me or look in my head or whatever, I wouldn't do anything to hurt Bekah."

"Only Rebekah?" Niklaus said, as he took a step closer to me.

"Just, do whatever, so I can leave and find Caroline."

"Sit." He said, pointing to a couch. I obliged, sitting on it and he followed suite. "Relax, and open your mind to me."

I closed my eyes and did as best I could to relax, while Klaus held my hands in his own. Thirty seconds later Klaus opened his eyes and let out a slight chuckle.

"Well well well, this is quite an interesting turn of events." He said smirking.

"What? What did you see?"

"While you may not be lying, your friends certainly are," I tilted my head in confusion, "Kayleigh, they compelled you to forget my mother linked us, that they had a plan to kill us."

"No, no they wouldn't."

"Find out for yourself, love. I'll be here when you do."

I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly closed it and rushed out of his house. My friends wouldn't do that to me.

When I arrived at the Salvatore house, everyone was there, basking in their failure.

"Little K, what's up?" Damon said as I walked through the door.

"Did you guys compel me?" I said, ignoring Damon. The group exchanged a look, that answered my question. I scoffed and turned on my heels to walk away.

"Kayleigh, wait!" Caroline called to me.

I turned back to look at her, "And what, yesterday when you asked me to hangout and then just dipped, were you just using me to distract Klaus?"

"We knew he wouldn't hurt you." Elena said.

"No, you don't know that. The way you described him to me, you knew he would hurt anyone who would get in his way. You used me. You all used me."

"Look, we're sorry-"

I rolled my eyes and walked away, I didn't feel like dealing with their half ass apology. It hasn't even been a month since I got home, and already my life was falling apart.

I wasn't going to give Niklaus the satisfaction of being right, so I went straight home and found Meredith tending to Alaric's wounds on the sofa. 

"So this is your place, huh?" Alaric asked Meredith, "Kind of a slob." I took notice to the many papers that laid sprawled out on the coffee table. 

"Housekeeping is not high on my priority list."

"With having to clean up messy vampire murders, cleaning up papers doesn't seem so urgent." I laugh and hand Ric another ice pack. 

"Here. Look at me." Meredith grabs Alaric's face in her hands and shines a bright flashlight in his eyes, checking for a concussion, "No concussion, you might have a broken rib." 

"That kind of sucks, getting my ass kicked on a date." Alaric says.

"That's what you get picking fights with guys thirty times your age." Meredith responds and Alaric laughs.

"So, since I gave you an ice pack will you give me an A in your class next year?" I ask, figuring he would be my social studies teacher for senior year, which was starting soon. 

"Not a chance."

"Well," I gasp, "I hope your ice pack melts." 

He laughs at me and I start walking away before Meredith calls me, "Whats up?" I ask.

"I just want you to be more careful going out," She says and I look at her in confusion, "Look, the medical examiner was killed, and Ric was attacked." 

I look at him in shock, "Oh my god, is he ok?" 

"Yeah, Elena and Damon saved him, just try to stay in Damon and Carolines company, the people who can protect you."

"I will, night Mere."

"Goodnight, Kayleigh." She says as I walk up the stairs and enter my room. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I'm out like a light. 

Early the next morning I hear Ric rummaging around for something downstairs. Figuring he needed pain medication I walk downstairs to help him. 

When I made it to the kitchen he was looking at papers that were laid messily on the island, he looked up at me like I scared him. 

"Hey, Ric, do you need help?" 

"Yeah, uh, my head is killing me, got anything for that?" 

"Meredith is a doctor, of course we do."

I turned away from him and walked to the cabinet near the fridge and pull it open. I have to stand on my tippy toes to see the selection of medicine we have. 

Ric is still looking through the papers, I could hear him pick something up, it almost sounded like he was unwrapping it. Finally I find what I'm looking for and turn back around, to see Ric take a step towards me, with something in his hand. 

"What were those files?" He asked, taking a step towards me.

"I don't know." I answered honestly. 

"Liar!" He shouts and lifts his hand.

"You weren't supposed to see those." I hear Meredith say, and Ric and I's attention immediately go towards my aunt who stood holding a gun, pointed at Alaric. 

The sound of a gunshot echoed through our house, and Ric dropped to the floor.