nine

"Oh my god."  Kayleigh stares at her hand that has now returned to its normal color. "What did I do? Are you okay?" 

Klaus studied the girl in front of him. She seemed to be unaware of the power she possessed up until that very moment, she looked at him, concern was evident in her eyes. 

"I'm okay, love." Klaus said, "Let's get Caroline healed up, then we can discuss this."

"Yeah, yeah ok, Caroline. Give me your blood." 

"You'd be foolish to think I'd let you out of my sight after what just happened." Kayleigh frowned at him, "I'll drive you to Elena's, you can go inside, give the blood to Caroline, and then you and I are going on a little road trip." 

The human looked at Klaus with her eyebrows raised, "Klaus I can't just pack up and leave, my friends are here, Meredith's here, I need to be here." 

"Do you really think that staying here, after what I just bore witness to, is the best idea?" Kayleigh looked at the ground as Niklaus spoke, "You don't- we don't understand this power you possess. What if you were to hurt one of your friends? What would you do then?" 

Deep down, Kayleigh knew Klaus was right, she didn't know what just happened, and she sure was hell didn't know how to control it. Leaving for a little with Klaus was the safest thing for her and all her friends. 

"Okay," Kayleigh said with her voice barely above a whisper, "let's go."

___

Kayleigh had a small vial filled with Klaus' blood, and she ran through the doors of Elena Gilbert's house to see her best friend suffering on the couch. 

"Care," She breathed, rushing over and putting the blood to her lips. The wound on Caroline's neck closed up and healed almost instantly. 

Caroline looked at her best friend, "Thank you." She got out before drifting to sleep. 

Elena stood leaning on the frame between the kitchen and the living room. Kayleigh got up from her crouched position next to Caroline and walked over to the other brunette. 

"Lena," Kayleigh said at the same time Elena said "Leigh." Causing them both the laugh quietly.

"Leigh, I'm sorry for everything. I was just trying to protect everyone, but recently I feel like it's been doing more harm than good." 

Kayleigh hugged her friend, "It's okay, Lena. I was just hurt, but I'm sorry that I didn't hear you out the first time." Elena sighed in relief squeezing Kayleigh before the two pulled away. Kayleigh grabbed Elena's hands and held them in her own. "Elena, something happened, I'm going to leave town for a few days, maybe a little longer."

"What? What happened?"

Kayleigh took a deep breath before taking a deep breath and pulling one hand away, allowing a small, red, glowing ball of power to appear from her hand. It fizzled out after a few moments, but it was there long enough for the doppleganger to marvel at it. 

"Oh my god."

"That's what I said." Kayleigh joked, making elena crack a smile.

"Who are you leaving with?" Kayleigh gave her friend a sheepish look, not wanting to say the name, thankfully Elena picked up on it. "Klaus?"

"He is the only one who can help me get the answers I want." 

"I understand, just be safe, and keep me updated."