two

The sunlight beamed through the windows, waking Kayleigh. She stayed up late the previous night watching movies and catching up with her favorite aunt. Meredith opted out of telling Kayleigh of her involvement in the supernatural world, it being her first day and all.

Today, Kayleigh was to see her friends. Of course they kept in touch, but she knew it would be different for all of them in person.

Kayleigh practically rolled out of bed, stretching when she felt herself firmly on the ground. She walked to her bathroom and took a quick shower before changing into a pair of shorts and a black tank top.

She said goodbye to Meredith and drove to the Grill, where she was to meet her old friends for lunch. The sun was shining and the sky was clear, it was a beautiful day.

Kayleigh was the first of the high schoolers to arrive, so she took the liberty of choosing their seat, a large booth on the side of the restaurant.

A few minutes later Elena, Caroline, Bonnie and Matt bursted through the door, the later three frantically looking around for their friend whom they haven't seen in years. They finally saw her in the booth, eyes glued to something on her phone.

"Kayleigh!" Caroline yelled and ran over to her, basically jumping on her in the booth.

"Care! Oh my god hi!" Kayleigh replied hugging her friend. She hugged the others and they all sat down in the booth she picked.

"So Leigh," Bonnie said, making Kayleigh smile at her childhood nickname, "How was Kansas?"

"It was boring. We lived in a small town but we weren't far from the city. It definitely wasn't Mystic Falls." She Kayleigh replied.

"We missed you here, how did you come back?" Matt asked.

"A lot of convincing," Leigh said, emphasizing the lot. The group of teens talked about anything and everything, when Leigh decided to tell the children of the founding families, plus Matt, what her parents had told her. Kayleigh figured they would all know already, having been in Mystic Falls.

"It's crazy! Vampires, werewolves, witches! They all exist" Kayleigh said, none of them looked surprised, confirming her suspicions that they knew already.

"How do you feel about them?" Caroline asked, "Like, do you hold the resentment that your parents do?"

"No, I don't. I don't think anyone lives and craves the blood, until something happened and they ended up a vampire. I don't think It's fair people make them out to be monsters, they are just like us"

Caroline let out a sigh of relief, "Okay good, because we have a lot to share."

Kayleigh stared at her soda, eyes wide and mouth opened at all the information her friends just laid on her. Bonnie was a witch, Caroline a vampire, Tyler, their other friend and Caroline's boyfriend, a werewolf, and Elena is in a love triangle with 150 year old vampires.

The group around Kayleigh held their breath, awaiting her possible judgement.

"That's," Kayleigh paused, "insane, cool, crazy, amazing!" she finished and hugged Caroline, knowing she would never hurt her. "You guys have quite the life."

"That's not even all," Matt started. "Elena got sacrificed on an alter of fire."

"Wait, so are you.."

"No! No, Bonnie worked out a way that I came back to life." Elena responded, knowing Kayleigh's question.

"It was all so this insanely evil one thousand year old vampire named Klaus could break a curse to turn him into a hybrid, half vampire half wolf." Bonnie added.

With that, Kayleigh's mouth dropped open again. Their discussion continued, now focusing mainly on Klaus whom the group referred to, multiple times, as the devil, psychopath, and egotistical maniac, and that wasn't even the half of it.

Kayleigh was thankful this Klaus hadn't been in Mystic Falls in a few months, she definitely did not want to meet him.

Many hours later, the group departed and Kayleigh went to the few clothing stores around Mystic Falls, searching to update her wardrobe. Inside a small, but tasteful, boutique Kayleigh wandered around pulling everything she thought was cute. Walking over the dressing rooms, she noticed a girl with long blonde hair walk out of a dressing room in a beautiful sparkling dress. The blonde frowned at herself while looking in the mirror.

"That dress looks amazing on you." Kayleigh smiled towards the blonde, who looked up and seemed shocked to hear a compliment.

"All these clothes look like something a prostitute would wear." The blonde complained.

"Tell me about it," Kayleigh said holding up a tiny swimsuit she wanted to try on.

"I'm Rebekah, I presume you're new here?" It was only then that Kayleigh noticed her accent, she had always wanted one.

"I'm Kayleigh, and sort of. I moved from here three years ago, when I had a freshman."

"So that'll make you a senior?" Rebekah asked, and Kayleigh nodded with a smile. "I'll be one too! We could be friends!"

Kayleigh genuinely smiled at her and they exchanged phone numbers. No one had been so kind to Rebekah during her stay in Mystic Falls. Maybe it was for the fact that Kayleigh didn't know her past, and maybe once she did she would stay away. But, for now, Rebekah had made a friend.