54. Graduation and Straws

I hope you guys enjoy the chapter.

Make sure you vote!!!

Chapter 54

Sebastian read over the letter fifteen times. Cassandra sat on his bed and smiled, she attempted to read over his shoulder, but he pulled the paper away. He wanted time to stop. He knew once she read over the paper, she would cry.

She would say how much she hated her life and how unfair everything was.

He handed her the paper. Her smile grew grimmer and grimmer, and tears soon began to brim her face. "Deferred," she exclaimed.

"Yeah, but it's not that bad. Just one semester...only 6 months—not even. Everything, all our plans are going to happen. We just need to wait a while."

"I thought you said you were guaranteed a spot. What happened to the money and the connections?"

"I don't know," he avoided her eyes. "I'm sorry."

Cassandra looked over at Sebastian. "I— I have to go." She gathered her belongings and fled the house, ignoring the calls coming from. behind her. He grabbed her arm before she could open the door.

"Cas," he heaved. "We are not doing this. This back and forth. You need to talk to me. Tell me how you're feeling."

Cas looked down at her feet, "I don't want to go to college without you. I don't want to be away from you. Not now, not ever Sebastian."

He pulled her into a hug. "I'm not going anywhere. And besides, it's not that far away. Just..."

"Eight hours by car. A two-hour plane ride," she mumbled into his chest. "It's so far away."

Sebastian ran his hand up her back. 

"No matter how far away you are from me. You will never have to worry about me loving you, Cassandra. I will never stop loving you. We can survive a few months. It'll be a walk in the park for us."

~

They stood next to each other, with matching caps and gowns. Cassandra grasped his hands and put on a brave face. She smiled but at the back of her mind was what was to come in the next three months. Summer would be over, and no longer would Sebastian be a five-minute drive away.

No matter the amount of time they spent together in what they felt like a short time would be enough. 

They would be separated. 

"Congratulations, class of 2016," their principal said.

The students turned their tassels and threw their caps in the air. Blue and gold caps filled the sky. Instead of being excited about the future and a bustling career that awaited her. All Cassandra thought of doing was crying as she grasped Sebastian's hand even more.

~

"So, you're going to go to a community college until you can enroll in UCLA?" Cassandra said as she played with Sebastian's hand in the dead of the night.

"Yeah, I want to graduate the same time you do. Plus, my parents said they'll continue to pay for my car as long as I'm in school. So, if I don't want to work in some crappy store, then community college it is."

"That's smart. You're taking cores, right?"

"Yeah, five of them. I talked to my counselor there. He suggested that since I'm transferring the following semester. What about you?"

"Three cores and I'm diving straight into my major."

"I hope neither of those cores includes English."