Prologue

And on the darkest of nights, she stepped forth; bathed in the eerie beams of the moonlight and kissed by the gentle light of twinkling stars from the heavens above

And on the darkest of nights, she stepped forth; bathed in the eerie beams of the moonlight and kissed by the gentle light of twinkling stars from the heavens above. The veil that cloaked her fell and she, in all her truth and glory, stood before those closest to her and vowed to always fight to protect them, even with her dying breath.

Flushed with the thrill of an invigorating power that surged through her, she tilted her head back and inhaled deeply, allowing the crisp night air to fill her lungs and relax the taut muscles beneath her smooth olive skin.

She was different now.

No longer was she the naive little girl that trembled with fear or wept with anger. And it was then, in the throes of heartbreak, that Johara Black was reborn.

But the biggest change evident in the girl was not her newfound strength or sense of grace or confidence.

Now, protruding from her back, arching out from between her shoulder blades, were two magnificent feathered wings.

It was a sight that was never to be forgotten.

Her shoulders rolled back and the wings extended to their full length revealing a wingspan that was almost three times her height. The late-night breeze ruffled the different shades of brown that elegantly blended across the large, perfectly shaped feathers.

And then it happened...

The wind picked up and a clap of thunder violently roared overhead, so loudly that it made the ground shake. Then came the sudden flash of a bright gold light.

When they looked back at the girl standing atop the cliff, dark yet wild brown hair billowed in the wind as her stance grew more intimidating and her eyes began to shine a brilliant luminescent golden hue. A blinding glow emanated from the core of each wing and they crackled with tendrils of silvery-gold electricity.

The sight wasn't just a message that was being delivered. It was a warning. A warning to all those that intended to inflict harm upon the lands that she walked.

The territory had been claimed; the land and all its people were protected.

The Thunderbird was home.

A/N:

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for reading this and, okay, I know that the whole 'Thunderbird with wings' thing is a bit of a weird concept. I know that's not how Thunderbirds are usually portrayed in fan fictions and it may look like it's just not gonna work but I have a lot of ideas and honestly I wanted to use the whole Thunderbird concept thing but without seeming like I'm just copying other people's ideas. I wanted the book and the OC to be unique and I really think that I can make it work. So... yeah that's it. Also this book is actually written in collaboration with someone that's very close to me and I am so proud of her because she's been editing my books forever and I can't believe she managed to sprout out this absolute masterpiece. So thanks for this.❤️

Ummm, yeah, thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!❤️

~ Rey💫