The Cold Ones

❝Oh, I hope some day I'll make it out of here

Oh, I hope some day I'll make it out of here

Even if it takes all night or a hundred years

Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near

Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my

fear

You know, the one thing they don't tell you about being a teenager with supernatural powers is that it takes up a lot of time. Between school and training with Grams, Jo's thoughts of getting a part-time job were quite effectively flung right out the window and quite frankly every little thing was starting to stress her out. The schoolwork and project deadlines were piling up and the girl hadn't had a smoke in what had felt like forever.

Jo was on the brink of insanity.

The only glimmer of solace she'd found was in the form of weekly video chats with Harper and, surprisingly, in the form of early-morning conversations with Embry Call whenever he was over - which was albeit wasn't too often but it was often enough.

After their first late-night/early-morning gab session, it seemed that the boy was finally - slowly - warming up to her. In the weeks that past, Jo and Embry had bonded and grown much closer than either of them would've thought possible in such a short space of time. However that element of rivalry still hung between them and more often than not the playful banter could so easily tip the scale back into their old dynamic of Jo annoying the crap out of Embry while the boy grew increasingly frustrated by the minute.

However, when they did manage to maintain a civil conversation, it was no longer awkward or cautious. Both teenagers felt free and comfortable enough around each other to tell the other anything they felt like telling. They'd stay up and ramble on about anything and everything. Conversation flowing as if they'd been best friends their entire lives.

Truthfully, the time she spent with the boy made her more happy and relaxed than she'd cared to admit and the idea of becoming so reliant on yet another person in order for her to feel happy, was scaring the living daylights out of the girl.

Alas, even Embry Call couldn't keep the stress and anxiety at bay forever.

Desperate to seek comfort in the familiar embrace of a cigarette, Jo bid Leah goodbye during lunch and trotted over to the back of the school as she'd done many a time before.

Make no mistake, she wasn't just going behind the school to simply hang out and look sketchy. No, that was just a perk. You see, the stress was honestly becoming too much for Jo and she needed her regular, most effective form of stress outlet back. And that meant, going behind the school to buy cigarettes from Paul Lahote.