Beneath The Redwood

❝ Thought I found a way

Thought I found a way

Thought I found a way out (found)

But you never go away (never go away)

So I guess I gotta stay now

𓆩⛥𓆪

You know that feeling you get when you're both sick and annoyed? Like you're skin is on fire and everything itches but at the same time nothing does and all you want to do is sleep but your whole body just aches so badly so now you're just stuck tossing and turning and wishing for death?

That's what Embry felt like that morning.

It had been just about two weeks of this weird illness and Embry still wasn't feeling any better. On this fateful Monday morning, the boy dragged himself out of bed and to school, the excruciating pain in his body somehow having worsened overnight.

Something seriously wasn't right with him.

And, as if the fever wasn't enough, he had to put up with Paul Lahote and Jared Cameron's obnoxious staring.

The pair of boys in the grade above him were known notoriously as Sam Uley's newest cult members and, usually, Embry was able to ignore the way that they always seemed to be watching him and his friends and just quietly seethe to himself about it without any disruption to his day; but today wasn't like every other day and Embry was not in the mood to put up with them.

He had managed to avoid them all through lunch and just when he was about to give up on the "hide his illness from his mom" plan and head back home early, Embry caught a glimpse of something in the halls that made him mad, so incredibly mad.

As the bell rang and the crowd of people filed into their designated classrooms, Embry caught sight of Johara Black, the girl that he unknowingly had a crush on (meaning he totally liked her but was choosing to live in denial instead because she's his best friend's sister).

But she wasn't alone in the hallway. Oh no, she just had to be conversing with Paul Lahote himself. His two tormentors (Jo and Paul, past and present) chumming it up in the hallway right in front of his face — not that they even knew he was there.

Even though Embry had convinced himself that he felt nothing for the girl, seeing her with that big beautiful smile on her face, laughing at something that that dick, Paul, had just said awoke within him a deep primal anger that rumbled in his chest, rattled his bones and woke his entire body up.